Wednesday, January 13, 2021

In The Pursuit of Happiness...

 If the performance of 2021 in this first few days is a predictor of future results-- I'm already wanting another trade-in... still, you're not going to catch me sitting in front of TV, nail biting.

I'm going to *VOTE* for myself, buy a piece of land in some remote corner of the planet, and start a cult. 

You're welcome to join me... it doesn't have to be a big piece of land-- we won't be growing our own food. All the food is going to be takeout. The majority of our time will be spent in the pursuit of happiness--sewing, sewing, sewing, Until my plan is a reality, we still have this blog for a little respite-- and a free stitch-a-long. You are welcome with open arms.

Once Upon A Time, Winter


I snagged this cool planner at Michaels (to start your own republic, you need to be organized) and one of the first things I did this year was open up my closet, and write down every quilt I have fabric for. I was so pleased to see I only needed one page! I starred the ones that I think I'd like to tackle first. As I said before, show quilts aren't a thing with me right now-- I'd love to make actual blankets that provide warmth and wrap my family and friends in love.

First up, is another Editya Sitar design-- after Sew In Love, I'm on a bit of a roll with her. So, every year I promise myself to finish the ones I started already first-- I'm considering this in the "Started" column because it's already cut!


"Alaska" arrived in this neat box, all arranged like a puzzle, and I do love a puzzle. This is my first laser cut kit and so far, I am really pleased-- there's absolutely no waste! No scraps, hanging around, looking like they want to be used for something else...

This is the first block-- I looked it over, and decided to schedule a block every three or four days through January in my planner-- you do have to make four of each, but there's only twelve pieces.


I guess I should have looked ahead, because Block Two has twenty pieces...


and then there's one with 28 pieces... so I have to admit it's barely two weeks into January and I'm already completely behind!


I had the foresight to put everything in my planner in PENCIL... and this is a beautiful quilt I'm determined to sew on... I found that Editya (we're on a first name basis now) did an entire series of videos on how to make this which I discovered late...


It's been very difficult to get these points to match so far. I'm letting go of perfection... it certainly doesn't help progress, but this quilt will be no less warm because of it. I think I will get better as I go along-- and at the end I'll make a decision about tweaking a "mistake" here or there.

For my hand sewing in the morning, I 'm happy to report I finished another one of these applique borders...


...never mind that one is shorter than the other-- the one on the right has been hanging for months and I will bet they will even out later this summer!

On the business side, I have the third part of Once Upon a Time well underway...



I got my supply of thread re-stocked and can now finish making my Cross Stitch Cottage borders... this quilt I'd love to have completed by the end of the month, but it's a bit dicey...


I had to remake two of my blocks, because in the height of the pandemic, I ran out of stabilizer, didn't use enough and wasn't happy with my stitch-out-- you might be surprised to hear that, but STUFF happens in even the most experienced sewing room. I admit it in the hopes that you'll get back on the horse with this project if you've been derailed for whatever reason.

And I've also started the next set of five states for "Carefree Highways" They are going to feature states with National Parks-- I love this theme, even though I've visited very few of them.


Acadia National Park in Maine gets the second highest visits each year-- gosh, I love a bit of trivia and this series is so full of fun facts to find.

So here we are in 2021. My resolution was to do more of the little things-- making food for my family, making a positive comment to all in my circle... to be a better person... it's a key to happiness for me. Take care of your little world as best you can, and pursue your own happiness today.

xox

Carol

6 comments:

  1. Congratulations on EVERYTHING!!! I have managed to do some finishing (hand sewing some bindings), finished a baby blanket (knitted) and pulled out a needlepoint kit that got stuck in the bottom of a to do "sometime" stack. I had started it probably 15 years ago and decided I really need to get it finished this year.

    I know there's no "answer" to the question, WHY DO I HAVE SO many projects started but not finished. Maybe I'll get as many finished this year as well trying to keep up with new projects.

    I AM interested in that remote corner of the planet ;-).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and I forgot to say, there will be TWO outlets for all my citizens, so we can embroider and sew at the same time! xoxo

      Delete
  2. Oh, Carol, once again, you have dazzled us with your amazing creativity ... and lifted our spirits with your humor and humanity (escaping to your cult in that remote corner of the world sounds *so* inviting!) ... thank you for making us feel *so* much better about our own unfinished projects, for making us laugh, and for continuing to inspire us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am happy to have you here, Laurel-- this is our corner for now!

      Delete
  3. I've lost my mojo! For some reason, I just can't get into sewing or embroidering right not. But I do love seeing and reading what everyone has done!

    ReplyDelete