Saturday, February 27, 2021

Signs of Spring...

So this has been a bit of a stressy week... 2021 is NOT turning into the fairy tale ending I had hoped for, for most of the people I love and for a few, especially, in particular. And so I ask myself, what is all this sewing, sewing, sewing accomplishing?

And the answer is: A LOT! My mental health has never been better, and I really have used it to be as supportive and present as I can be in my little world. And to this I can add that I'm going to have many finished projects to gift as a way to give a more tangible hug as well. 

One problem I am having, or rather the same problem I always have, is the "started" projects are mulitplying again. I find myself working a little bit each on more things, and then less and less time on many things, until I am accomplishing nothing on everything.

My 2021 planner book is now a bit neglected, so here's a short list of what I did last week and what I want to accomplish next week.

1) February Table Runner of the Month-- not finished, but very much progressed, I have all the little 4" blocks done. 



This was made from a Cider honeybun I received in January-- I had already purchase the fat quarter set, which I now regret. The collection, as a whole, is gorgeous-- but when push comes to shove, there is too much white and too much blue for what I'd consider a good fall set. Some of the prints I just frankly don't love either. What is that bubble thing? 



So from now on, before I shell out a hundred bucks for a set  fat quarters, I'm going to look at the set as whole AND as individual prints. Goal for next week-- get the coffee table I planned this for cleaned off and sew the thing together! Picture if you will, this unloved corner of my bedroom with a gorgeous table runner, and  DUSTED even!


2) Double-wide Dresdens-- fantastic progress. I have three down one to go. Hand stitching these in the morning is as close to YOGA as I'm ever gonna get. 



I'm making four in all, because that's how many pieces a charm pack yielded-- I also did get 1-1/2 yds of "Rosewood" backing from an Etsy seller-- the collection is about two years old. It's such a good feeling to support a small business, and I received it in record time-- you do get soaked a little for shipping, but that's okay with me.



3) Here starts the "NEWS." I absolutely cannot resist this "Charm Pack Carrot" idea I dreamt up. I have the perfect Fig Tree quilts charm pack for it-- I also digitized up the sweetest ever bunny border-- I'm so proud of it-- it's at the top of this post. Sew hoping to release this a week from now. Does it count as a table runner of the month? NO.



4) More "news..." On the drawing board-- finishing kits for Once Upon A Time, Winter-- this is a priority for March-- I'd love to just have those done the week after the twelve blocks are done. I'm thinking a pillow for the charm size and a table piece for the 5x5 blocks, and I have picked out "Folktale" fabric to finish it off. Yup-- another set of fat quarters, but these totally met my new standard of loved as a whole and loved individually. Just look at that "magic dot" print on the right!!


This week we had dancers-- we may not all feel like this these days, but we can still stitch it. It has been really challenging to do people-- my daughter is drawing them-- but it's great to explore more ways of using thread, and I am really happy with the results. I hope they are making you smile.




5) My "Olive" Frivol Kit-- QUILTED!!!


 I got back on my big, beautiful longarm this week and put it over the top. This is one of those projects I had on my list a few weeks ago when I was trying to sew the whole world. So that's a good feeling. It's better than perfect-- it's FINISHED!


When I showed Mr. SFO it was finished, he said, "No, it still needs binding." I was so proud of him in that moment-- he's been paying attention!

 You know how everyone is always saying how tough it is to get tension on your longarm-- it is true. In my case, it's been a case of "good enough," where it's not quite right, but I am so afraid to tweak anything in case I totally screw it up. My friend encouraged me to just mark on the bobbin the original setting and then go for it-- I replied that I'D RATHER JUMP INTO A POOL OF ALLIGATORS. So this week's goal is to just buy some cheap muslin at Joanne, and take the jump. I will let you know how that goes!

6) Stitches of the Sea-- the Copperband Butterflyfish has come alive! He needs a few tweaks and some coral.  On the site Tuesday, people.


So that's part, but not all, of what goes on here-- I sincerely hope you are all hanging in there with me. There's a certain lack of enthusiasm I've noticed with sewing groups on Facebook and Instagram-- less posts-- are we losing heart? Don't. This past week I heard the birds singing... I just know Spring will rescue us, as it faithfully does every year.

xox
Carol




11 comments:

  1. LOVE that bunny border - adorable!

    You've been "sew" productive....I feel like a slug, LOL. BUT, I am slowly getting a few things done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe the strategy is to stick to ONE thing! xox

      Delete
    2. Meant to add that Caroline's drawings are AWESOME! XOXO

      Delete
    3. Thanks, Dottie-- it was always my hope that she'd take it over some day! xoxo

      Delete
  2. can't wait for that last fish. woo hoo. Almost finished

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it great! Yup, we're excited-- got a finishing kit to put together!

      Delete
  3. I've mentioned before that I am so thankful for all the sewing projects and UFOs I have done this last year..it has even saved my marriage (or kept me out of jail for murder!)! Being busy is only way to survive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So agree, Susie. The savings on psychiatrists, bail money, and lawyer's fees alone is worth it!

      Delete
  4. Can't wait to complete the Creatures of the Sea series and love the bunny runner

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on your Frivols finish! I think this Frivols is one of my top three favs, and I love all your quilting. I love your new embroideries of both the fish and the folk dancers--you really have a great skill there, of getting these designs all finished. Your industry is motivating!

    ReplyDelete