Saturday, September 4, 2021

Thread Chest

I missed a blog post last week-- yes, it was PAR-TAY time as we say around here, and I'll tell you all about it next week, when I'm fully recovered. It's come to my attention that Superior is having a sale on Magnifico-- it's up to 50% off-- but you have to act by Labor Day. So here's a quick rundown of our favorite colors, if you'd like to stock up for fall stitchin!

We are blessed with this--


If you've been embroidering for years, your thread collection may be more like this--



We are not at all opposed to this approach-- all the brands play so well together in our experience. It's a good time of year to just take stock of what you have and fill in the blanks-- the goal is to have lights, mediums, and darks in the rainbow colors, and a few neutrals. 

So let's go through the Magnifico color chart-- we're pulling out about 40 of 200 that we use all the time-- and we're going to star about twelve must-haves if you're light on budget. Or as many as you "need." hehe.


The chart starts with white and black-- truth is, I would stock up on white if you need it and the price is right. Some people are loyalists--I am not opposed to any brand of white---in a pinch, I've gotten Sulky at Joann Fabric-- that's my nearest source if I am in desperate need. Black is a must have-- but honestly, it is used in such tiny portions, I don't go through a lot of it.

Now the pinks-


Growing up between two brothers, pink is never a color I learned to understand-- I'd skip all the way down to the most peachy version-- 2023, 2024, and 2025 give you the light, medium, and dark you need. And I'll just skip down to purple, another girly color I don't use much of-- 2112 and 2115 are the warmer purples I use, and 2126, 2127, and 2129 and the cooler purples I reach for. None of these I'd put in the must- have column. 

Warm colors:


Now I'm in my sandbox. 2050* is Magnifico's must-have cream. *2051 is more of a yellow. Then, I'd skip right through the rest of the yellows-- most of them are too electric, although if I need a darker yellow, I'd pick 2061.

*2054 is cheddar-- one of my absolute favorite colors. I like to sprinkle it here and there. *2041 is THE red-- only occasionally do I use a more candy apple one. *2045 is my dark red of choice.

*2068-- a beautiful gold. Then we have a range of oranges, light to dark-- 2036, 2037, 2038, and 2040. Now I am just realizing you can tell how full the spool is to see how much I use it--LOL. So 2037 is my go to orange-- I wouldn't call it a must have, because orange is not a huge color with me.

Greens--


Magnifico has a huge range of greens-- from really soft, unsaturated ones, to bluish, to bright. So I use all of them in slight measures since so much of my work had greenery in it. *2097 is a lime that may be my most used color. *2104 is basic your Irish green. And 2091 is my favorite dark, outline green. Other than that, I also use 2099 and 2100 for more subtlety with my 2097. Then I threw a warm gray into the photo-- 2182 is the best one. 

Onward to blue-- also a nice range of hues in Magnifico.



2134 is a light blue, but *2143 is THE pale blue, my go to. 2138 and 2140 represent the teal end-- you'll know these if you did Stitches of the Sea! The bottom row is a range from light to dark I use freqently-- *2161 is a must-have for me-- it's a great Royal Blue.

Then we close out with supplementary colors-- yes, we do need neutrals sometimes!


2001 is white-- then 2165 and 2167 give you a light and dark gray. 2170 is for beige (only when cream 2050 is too bright) then my range of browns from light to dark-- 2173, *2174, *2176, and 2189.

So that's a run down of MY favorite colors-- I always have to end by saying-- you'll never mis-color an embroidery design if you pick colors YOU like!

Visit Superior Threads to save on Magnifico by September 6th-- here (I'll just note that I do not get a commission on any thread purchases and we are in no way affiliated with them, so we obviously do not provide customer service for anything you do buy.)


Don't forget to visit our sale page by Monday night as well-- you can take 50% off a purchase over $50 on any designs of your choice.




xox
Carol




4 comments:

  1. I was looking through the threads earlier this weekend when I saw the ad pop up....I had purchased a lot of the "collections" that had been put together for some of your design sets (cloud club, I think). I've been buying Superior for several years, especially when they have a lot of their great sales. Recently I was buying a lot of the twist thread that they are discontinuing because I've really enjoyed twist threads for years - just give that little bit extra.

    Looking forward to hearing all about your par-tay time!! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Speaking of PAR-tay times - I made birthday placemats for my 2 great nieces using your birthday cross stitch design in the 6x8 size and they were a big hit. Now we are expecting a great nephew and I would like to do a placemat for him. It doesn't need to be cross stitch but I would prefer a design that is a bit more masculine. Do you have any plans for a design like that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, thank you, thank you, thank you!! Much LOVE!!! I had a few, and now I can get the rest. Looking forward to the Par-TAY story. Happy Birthday again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you. Good to know where to start. Of course, being the anal type, I want ALL the colors. What can I say? Looking forward to next weeks blog. My really good friend and I have started planning our really big ends in zero birthday. We're 2 weeks apart. It's probably going to include getting our "standing on the corner in Winslow, AZ" picture.

    ReplyDelete