Sunday, October 24, 2021

Wake Up. Make Beautiful Things All Day. Go To Bed.

    Birthdays, summer, visitors, vacations... all are over now and there's nothing else to do but hunker down for a lovely fall and winter of stitching. I. AM. HAPPY. 

    Here's the update for what I accomplished last week and what I hope to do this week. If there's ever a reason to start you own blog-- it's for this-- documenting projects!

   So I made a little table runner goal list for myself a couple of post ago... binding my Fig Tree Burgoyne Surrounded piece was at the top of the list. As Mr. SFO says....  "CHECK-A-RONI!"

  I am so pleased with how this came out especially my quilting-- technically, a disaster, but well-imagined. I can't wait to take it out at Christmas. I've said this before, but if you're a little lazy at taking Christmas decorations down, go with red and it looks appropriate right through Valentine's Day.

    Then, I got Fat Quarter Shop's Bats and Boos all pieced together! There are a couple of things I would have done differently on this, but finished is better than perfect. I think I should have used some green in the flying goose border, but I'm going to try and correct that with a green binding. I wish the sunflower block in the middle had a gray background to play with those large squares. 

And I wish I had used purple-- LOL-- I used a filter in Instagram and look how fabulous it is with the "purples"! On the other hand, I checked and I do not have that particular purple in my stash-- hee, hee.

    I was going to hand applique some pumpkin leaves in the border, but honestly, I think it just doesn't need it. Instead, I'm going to quilt them in. If I draw things out in those washable blue markers, I've been tremendously successful in following the lines on my longarm. I am far from the point where I could just stitch in a beautiful feather with out any guides-- or even a straight line-- lol.

  On another note, I promised myself that I would only use my stash if I allowed myself to do this-- OOPS! Another broken promise. I didn't have enough Butter Churn Basics to make that wide first border, even if I pieced it, which would probably have looked a mess. And, now that I am liking this so much, I'm going to also spring for a fabulous Tim Holt Halloween plaid backing. My stash, while massive, really does not have much more than a fat quarter of any single print-- it's a problem. I guess when you calculate the time and love put into these things, is it really worth it in the end to save $20 by using less than ideal fabrics? What do you do?


     Anyway, the Fat Quarter Shop certainly deserves the sale after giving the pattern free.

    I try not to show this too often, because I know some of you roll your eyes now that cross stitch is as popular as quilting!


This is a 1990's UFO-- truth is-- I bought but never started it. This has become a complete guilty pleasure-- every morning, I put my hour in while I wake up. Why do I feel so guilty about it? It's a kit-- NO CREATIVITY required, just rote work. But I think that's okay when the rest of my day sucks up all the artistry. Then I do guilty pleasure quilting at night. That's my day.


I watched some of the "Cross Stitch University" videos on YouTube and my friends made fun of me, because, after all, what is there to learn about cross stitch? I vociferously defended myself-- there's always something to learn! And learn, I did... I learned that on 14ct Aida, most people are using two strands?? Also, I saw someone make a straight stitch over, like, twenty threads!! haha. I guess I'm an old fashioned stitcher-- it's THREE strands on 14 ct for me-- I mean, you can see their Aida cloth showing through all the dark colors. And I would never make a two inch straight stich-- that might end up as a wiggly mess under glass in an expensive framing job! 

   One common theme we all agree on-- there's no cross stitch police, either, so do what brings you joy! I heartily agree I'm not the expert,  and modern stitchers may as well roll their eyes at my chunky, bead-like, stitching-- and the fact that my Aida cloth does not show through like it should! So I have really enjoyed a bit of "Flosstube" as they call it-- yes, it's been an education.

   Here's the plan for this week: 

    First up, I just about have all the parts stitched up for the Acorn Table runner. My next YouTube video is going to be on machine embroidery applique-- thank to all who subscribed and watched, by the way. I am working toward monetization, and it is with extreme love and gratitude that I realize you will all pull me across the finish line, somehow. xoxo The artist-in-residence is professionally editing the videos-- she, oh, so kindly, suggested I am talking too much. This is the first time in my lifetime anyone has complained of this with me, so I took it well, and intend to heed the advice as we go along.

   So here are the appliques and the borders-- it the same layout as the Scrappy Carrot table runner this spring, so I just have to follow my own instructions to finish it up-- that again, should be an education!


I'm using Lella Boutique Folktale fabric. This will be my October Table Runner of the Month and I will be right back on track! Instead of the rabbits, we have squirrels.


On Stitches of the Sea, I have written the Quilt-As-You-Go instructions to assemble, and at some point this week, that shell design will be stitched right on the piece-- then three more designs are needed to complete the edges and corners. Now that I have the first one done-- the rest are easier. I've decided to completely finish and release the Quilt-as-you-go instructions and then do the All-in-the-hoop set. It just helps me focus to tackle one at a time.



I guess the spirit of Thanksgiving has hit me early this year. I've been really feeling grateful for my little life making these beautiful things, and for having you here to sew with me. It's a wonderful life. Go sew.

xoxo

Carol



12 comments:

  1. The 3 'B' words don't count as purchases in quilting. You HAVE to have backing, batting and binding to finish your quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, so much, Paule-Marie! You are my mentor! xoxo

      Delete
    2. Well, you know it's all in rationalizing properly. Like eating chocolate. It's healthy. Chocolate grows on trees therefore it can count as a vegetable or fruit. If its milk chocolate, youve got dairy and some protein.

      Delete
  2. Love that "check-a-roni" runner - it's DEFINITELY perfect for Christmas through Valentines day.

    You've been super productive! Congratulations. XOXO Dottie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dottie-- I finally got over my post-Vegas depression and got to work! xoxo

      Delete
  3. Oh wow! Your Stitches of the Sea block is absolutely beautiful. Now all I have to do is figure out if I'm doing the QAYG or ITH??? I think I'm QAYG, duh! BTW, I love your pieced quilts as well, but my heart is still with your machine embroidery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're QAYG, girl! May have that first stitch out to you by the end of the week-- you stitch it in six places. Get the magnetic hoop out!

      Delete
  4. Beautiful projects........you get so much done it makes me feel like I am slacking....I am going to blame my lack of projects on old age.....keep up the good work...you inspire us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just hunker yourself down for the next four months-- hibernate in the sewing room! xox

      Delete
  5. The Stitches of the Sea borders /cornerstones are just amazing and I'm already intimidated about placement. I'm up for a challenge so we'll see. I love the progress you're making on the cross stitch piece. Is it just me or are you moving along faster than last year's Christmas stocking. Both are beautiful but my heart is with embroidery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, friend! Placement will be-- FOOLPROOF! I promise-- after all, this fool has to be able to do it, heehee! And yes, AUTUMN is moving faster than the stocking-- but that's not hard to do, as the stocking took 24 years. Thumbs up-- you can teach an old dog new tricks-- I'm learning how to focus on one thing and putting in an hour each day. xoxo

      Delete