Sunday, November 21, 2021

The Breaking Point...

     I'll begin with my guilty pleasure... indulge me-- it's very appropriate because it's Thanksgiving week and I'm stitching a turkey! This project is going to go for a 3-4 month vacation after that turkey is roasted. I'm over it... I had a young person who I inspired to be more creative, and I called her one night after she got home from work. When I asked what she was up to, she said, "I am forcing myself to work on crafts." It sounded pretty tragic in that moment, but I have really reached that point in this project.


     This project has taught me a lot about sticking with ONE thing, focusing on it, and pushing through the hard parts. It's over the halfway point and now in the category of "IT WOULD BE A SHAME TO NOT FINISH THIS," so I wrote a date in my calendar book, May 1st, to pick it up again, and it will be on my wall by next Labor Day-- DONE!

    So that brings me to this project, in need of focus and a push! 


    It think we all see that will look incredible when I stitch it on there... so what's taking me? Well, the writer can just open a new document, the digital artist can just hit the undo button, and the musician can get a new sheet of paper, but if the machine embroiderer makes a mistake, they are faced with ripping out 50,000 stitches from fabric that will be ruined anyway, along with four perfect Stitches of the Sea blocks.

   It's going to take a moment of bravado to get this done. I know PEOPLE. ARE. WAITING. I hate myself for taking so long with this-- why can't I be more professional like Embroidery Library or Sweet Pea? It does no good to wish you were someone else, does it? Thanks to all of you, my patient friends.

     On the plus side, Carefree Highways are rolling on!

The finishing instructions are already out... I'll add a link below if you don't have them. 
So by the end of the year, we will have 35 states done, 15 to go. This one is super easy to assemble, and will be done by the end of spring-- it's been fun to make videos with my daughter, so I will definitely do filming while I assemble. 



Here's another skill that requires bravery! Sewing people... did you know this hobby would require such courage! I finally decided to PRACTICE on my longarm and loaded up muslin... 


Honestly, as imperfect as this might be under the microscope, wouldn't this look pretty good when stitched in white on white on my Oak Leaf Tablerunner? What's stopping me? Let's see what happens...

On the more quilty side, Chicken parts are coming together! 


Before, I would have selected colors and made each block one at a time. This time, I'm making twelve at once, stopped pinning as much, and "forced" (hee, hee) myself to work on it a little each day. I've never felt something come together so quickly. I do need some sashing fabric-- I've selected a black chicken wire print-- and that reminds me-- Fat Quartershop usually does 20% off your entire purchase on Black Friday. I put everything in my cart, so I can just wait till Friday, see if they are doing it, and then just purchase. If you do use the link above right on the blog, I get a commission at no cost to you and it also helps me rationalize the time spent on the blog-- I do appreciate it.

So this is the chicken quilt pattern. I screenshot from Pinterest, but it's a Lori Holt quilt block. I do love her picture blocks. The Farm Girl Vintage book is one I've used again and again. I like her applique technique, but just haven't had the time.


Last-- I got sucked into this!

After completing my Corey Yoder Christmas Block of the Month, I started to look for a new one. So Fat Quarter Shop has had this out for while-- I'd seen it, but it's really too traditional for me. Plus, it has some of the P--- color in it-- a no, no, for me!
Then, I saw it in person! It is just INCREDIBLE. To further rationalize, my neighbor is going to do it with me-- also, I cancelled my Sew Sampler Box for now-- so that makes it only about $5 a month more. It starts in January-- I cannot, cannot wait.

So that's another look through last week's camera roll. One thing's apparent, I am doing too much looking back and not enough forward. Maybe I make a short list of what I'd like to be showing next week... but let's not be too hard on ourselves-- Thanksgiving's at my house!

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

xox
Carol

Carefree Highways Finishing Instructions

4 comments:

  1. Happy Thanksgiving to y'all.....You've accomplished SEW much this year and everything is looking GREAT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Dottie-- Happy Thanksgiving to my Texans!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was thinking about that beautiful sashing for the ocean blocks and wonder if they could be stitched as a stand alone similar to a badge and appliqued in place? Does that make sense? I don't know if I would have the nerve to stitch directly on my project. Thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, that would absolutely work-- you wouldn't even have to hand stitch it. This could be an option-- I'm hoping a turkey dinner induced stupor on Tuesday may dampen my fear long enough to actually do it. I do have placement lines in the design-- should be foolproof-- still terrified. Have a lovely Thanksgiving and thanks SEW much for writing to me!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete