Wednesday, March 30, 2022

These times they are a changin'...

      After having a full house for the week, my gypsies have left for the trail and Mr. SFO is at another conference in Vegas. I should have gone with him again, but someone had to be here to wish the gypsies a fond farewell. So I've had a few quiet days to myself.  

    Here are the Gypsies leaving-- it took about 20 minutes to say goodbye, as everything now has to be made into a video. In the opening scene, the actors climb into the SUV, the car drives over the GoPro, barely clearing it, and then goes around the circle. Then the distraught mom runs down the driveway, waving. (I cleverly wrote myself into the script.) It will take about a week to get that up on YouTube, but don't miss it... the adventure begins!


     We had a little party for them-- it is next to impossible to get my family to all agree on a time to come over-- does anyone else have this problem? So I ended up with people popping in and out all day-- I was tired after it. Here are the gypsies with their homemade cake:


     I think I have been watching too much British Baking Show-- but my "Showstopper" would have been a winner! The entire Appalachian Trail is rendered in sugar, complete with snow peaks, evergreens, and boulders.


      I am going to buy Chocolate melts in all colors the next time I visit Michaels-- it was so fun to pipe out those evergreen trees-- I highly recommend the technique. It's also fun to visit the candy aisle at the grocery store-- I came up with Whoppers and chocolate chunks for the boulders, crushed Oreos for the trail, and sprinkles for my snow capped peak. We even have our Gypsies as sour patch kids with Reese's piece backpacks.


       Every moment in life is better with baking, but is not complete without a bit of machine embroidery. So I made them each a GYPSY TRAILS patch for their back packs. If you happen to go on a little walk on the Appalachian Trail this summer and see these patches-- by all means, say HELLO!


   So that was the send off-- it did get a bit emotional. It's not that easy to shut down your entire life for five or six months. I have no doubt they will make it-- 2200 miles-- we are a very determined bunch of people. Every characteristic has a good and bad aspect though. So yes, determination is good, but what if they end up not enjoying it? Will they hang on for week after week, wet and cold, miserable? We have watched other hikers on YouTube who are a few weeks ahead on the trail, and one thing I have quietly noted is how tired they all look. So more than anything, I just want them to have a good experience. This DNA does not come from me.

     Here is Mr. SFO at his conference-- I would have loved to join him again, but someone had to be here to see the gypsies off. He's the one on the left.


    Alone at the house is always a concept that sounds better than it really is. I made a list of ME things to do after my busy week-- my St. Patrick's table runner and pillow, my A Ribbon Runs Through It blocks. My flower quilt. My longarm. So some of it happened, but most not. The house is in serious need of restoring order and the dreaded taxes are looming-- why, oh why couldn't one of us be a dental hygienist or office worker with a simple W-2! We're all a bunch of artists with boxes full of receipts. So this post is a bit light on sewing-- be warned.

   I did finish Month 2's installment of four blocks for A Ribbon Runs Through It. One block a week has been just right for me. And I just got my notice that Month 3 has shipped-- perfect! I am halfway through these blocks, but then there's more setting blocks and also the ribbons that run through it. I get my Fat Quarter Shop deliveries in two days-- not sure how this is possible. But the supply chain issues still seem to drag on. This project has been a nice constant through all the upheaval right now.


Then, I finally loaded something to the longarm-- my Bats N Boos table topper! Do you think I will have it by Halloween-- heehee!


     I probably have between 20-25 table runners and 4 or 5 quilts just waiting to be quilted-- let's get busy!  I promised myself I am not going to worry about "ruining" anything-- just accept and enjoy the results. I'm keeping it simple. 

 


          So one thing I learned is to use a blend-y thread and a very busy backing-- apparently it works! You would not even know this piece is quilted on the back, let alone see "mistakes."


   I'm going to try to have something on the longarm at all times over the spring and summer. I really enjoy doing it-- an hour a day would definitely get me far.

     So that's it, that's all I have to say for myself. A season of my life has ended-- the nest has emptied again and I do not believe the artist-in-residence will be in residence for long after she returns. I'm trying to see it as a fresh start. I am really looking forward to my spring and summer on the pond here... getting out to my garden-- taking early morning walks on the Cape Cod canal, making great works of art on my embroidery machine. But just like this week, plans have a way of escaping me. I guess I will just take a day at a time for now. 


xoxo

Carol

2 comments:

  1. Hi Carol, As a mom my heart goes out to you! I am very fortunate to have all of my children close by.{no wanderers except for a grandson} I do envy your "explorers" though, because I have always wanted to walk at least part of the Appalachian Trail. Hooray for them! What an experience they will have and that they are able to do it while they are young and healthy. I will be watching their progress. Just keep sewing.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. The send off for your gypsies was PERFECT!! They will have so many wonderful tales to tell when they return. I'm assuming they're starting in Georgia and working their way up?

    That's exciting seeing the quilt on the longarm. And, your plans to have something on the machine and ready to go, even a few passes here and there sound doable and best of all before long you'll have your masterpieces finished.

    Wishing you a GREAT week! XOXO

    ReplyDelete