Sunday, May 22, 2022

Spring Cleaning

     Regrettably, not much to show in the way of sewing this week, but I did get a little digitizing and embroidery done.

     Drum roll please... the release of the final set of Carefree Highways states is imminent! In plain English-- all fifty states are done, with state birds and flowers, state shape and capitals, and ribbon nicknames! I am super proud of this work-- it has taken about two years to work through them and I thank you all who cheered me along. Look for this on Tuesday.

    The last states were heartland states, probably because I sadly know nothing about these states. But after researching each of them, I realize they are all amazing in their own way. Have you been reading the fun facts I gather on each instruction sheet? I guess I have been blessed with a lifelong love of learning as I truly enjoyed learning about our nifty fifty.

     I have not been able to motivate myself to start the big quilt yet, but still hopeful the inspiration will strike soon. I plan on working on it exclusively until it is finished, like some of the wonder woman quilters on Instagram do. This is the box of "parts" which is very hard to get started to. The journey of a thousand miles...


     I also want to make some pillows with a single state set into a US flag as gifts, to show the possibilities if you are not inclined to make them all.  Do you know a person with a lot of state pride with an upcoming birthday? Stay tuned! I used to think state pride was reserved for people with really cool states, like Texas or Colorado, but after learning about each state-- they are all cool! I can even say I do have a lot of fondness for my own home state of NJ--yep, the poor state that has been the brunt of jokes for years. Like when you say you are from NJ, people will ask, "What exit?!" Heehee-- I lived happily at Exit 22B for many years. <3

   The June birth month mug rug is already out-- June is a special month-- the birthstone is the Pearl (is that even a stone?) and the flower is the queen of all flowers, the Rose. I am very partial to this month as it is the artist-in-residence's month-- the artist is no longer in residence, and is now "Fern" of Gypsy Trails and won't be home for her birthday-- but they made it to Virginia. I can't send it to her, because she will really resent the extra 4 oz. of weight to carry, but I'm sure a nice mug rug would be a nice touch of civilization to have under your granola bar while hiking.



So the cleaning of my sewing room kind of inspired me to go through the entire house, and that's where the bulk of time went last week. Below-- a rare view of the San Francisco Stitch Co. lounge area as it currently exists! 

    We have been in this house for fifteen years and a change may be in the air... it's way too big for us now that the kids are gone and the real estate market is so strong everywhere. Before that happens, there are a few projects that need finishing... I knew when I married an architect, I'd have a beautiful home, but I didn't realize what it would take to get it. Mr. SFO changes things around like a writer crosses out and rewrites with his pen.... hence this closed off door opening, now library.

   We have some built-in cabinets to finish, then some bathroom bead board to install, and french doors that need painting and hardware. I'm hoping all of this takes quite some time as I'm not really ready yet to let go of this wonderful place. Does anyone else out there struggle with change as much as I do? I have seen other people just decide to move on and they are up and out with no remorse or sadness-- it's kind of inspiring in a way.


    Of course, I have my job list, too-- I used a product called RESTORE to freshen up our oak cabinets in the kitchen. (Mr. SFO wanted to paint them white-- BUT YOU DO NOT PAINT WOOD. I spent 17 years in our first home stripping painted wood. So yes, we're a bit out of style, but that's who we are! When he saw how great they look, he now pronounced himself a believer. Despite losing most of my sewing time this week to that project (I was too physically tired to even sew at night) I still have about 75% of rubbing and buffing to go! Here's hoping the added arm strength will get me motivated on the long arm.


     Now for what little sewing I did get done... Block 13 is finished and I have started the 14th block of the Ribbon quilt. 


     Block 14 should have been finished by the 15th for me to stick with my made up schedule. To add insult to injury, the Fat Quarter Shop's shipping delays are now apparently starting to resolve. So I received the Month 5 shipment right after Month 4! 



     The good news is, Month 5 is all four of the same block-- the same four blocks of Month Six, too. So I'm going to wait and make all 8 at one time when Month Six comes and hopefully catch up. I chuckle as I write-- isn't is sew fun to make quilt-y plans in your head, and of course, I have no idea if I will be able to do that! I do love to "think" about sewing... do you?



     The Autumn Sampler edges, oh so closely to a finish-- I have started the dreaded ruler, a solid fill-- and more good news-- it's not as big as the city block I had imagined in my head. Could this be finished by its year anniversary-- in my mind, I'm envisioning YES! Did I mention I despise this project now.



    And last, I will give you the Gypsy Trails update, if you aren't watching on YouTube. But first, I will admonish you, because Fern's videos are really artistically beautiful and produced every night from their tent on the trail. (As I write that, I feel ashamed I have been too tired to sew at night when I haven't backpacked 15 miles that day!) Her partner Gypsy, has a great sense of humor and we have been laughing every mile of the way. The videos come out at 5pm, they are about 15 minutes each and we just watch them at dinner time.


     Fern and Gypsy are doing really well on the Appalachian Trail-- some initial knee problems, sunburn, and insect bites have resolved and their daily mileage is up around ten a day, and now even 14 a day which is where it needs to be to reach Mount Katahdin in Maine before the trails official close on October 15th. They just reach Virginia after starting in Georgia, and I believe they are near 500 miles, or the 1/4 way point. Virginia, in and of itself is another 1/4 and the biggest state to cross. I looked at a map, and it's because you aren't hiking straight South to North, but following the ridge line of the Shenandoah which runs diagonally across more of the width of the state. Mr. SFO and I used to visit the Seven Bends area frequently back in the day, and I'm looking forward to seeing it again on film. 


    Every night after the video, we stick a pin in a map to document their progress.  Every step they make is a step closer to home, and that's keeping me happy and optimistic as well.

     Last up-- the weather report! Nature has finally "flipped the switch" and we went from 50s right to 80s yesterday. Some of the home improvement projects are outside, and for this I can't wait!

    Tough times for all of us right now-- some serious stuff happening in the world and here at home as well, but when I put it aside to write the blog, I see that there is much to be grateful for. Have a great week!

xox

Carol

    


3 comments:

  1. Carol, I have always found that you do what needs to be done when the time is right and not before. It will happen when it's supposed to. Gertie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel for you with the house. When DH was in the military, we moved every 4-6 months - 2 years and purged a lot of things before each move. After military moves, we were in PA 14 years, WV 20 years and now in Texas 8 years. Unfortunately, we don't purge as much as we should and our kids are after us to get rid of this, that and the other. Making a "bit" more progress.

    You are accomplishing A LOT! Kudos to all you've done and are doing.

    They gypsies will be going through our old neck of the woods - beautiful country. Hopefully the weather won't be too hot, muggy and buggy. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on finishing the 50 States, I'm looking forward to stitching them and finding just the "right" setting for them. DH and I have not moved since we got married 44 years ago. Instead of moving, we just buy an additional house/RV and keep cluttering. Our kids will hate us when they have to "purge". My advice is don't downsize, just keep adding. xoxo

    ReplyDelete