Monday, January 1, 2024

Happy New Year!

    I'm willing to bet there's quite a few of you out there who want nothing more today than a little scroll through quilt-y content, a little sewing time, and just a tiny dinner after all that eating! I'm here for you-- happy to blather a little about this and that, to fulfill that first need.

    I am SEW happy to say I have an extremely positive attitude this January 1st--- let's hope the circumstances of 2024 cooperate. First, I'm going to show you what Santa brought me, then what I bought myself-- haha! Then, just a tiny bit of sewing progress-- there hasn't been much-- and finally thoughts on what I'd like to digitize this year.

    It pretty much sums up being an adult-- we can buy whatever we want, can't we?  So my family always agrees not to go crazy at Christmas. That being said, I was really touched at all of the very thoughtful gifts I received. You could tell that much care went into selecting each and every item. Here I am, captured at an extremely emotional moment when I opened the gift of new lightning chargers for my phone.


    Santa also brought me a beautiful new down jacket-- I wasn't expecting one and it will sure come up handy in these colder winters than we are used to. I had to promise not to wear it in the coop! (This is the old coat-- (BTW, Buttercup is overwintering like a CHAMP-- still laying every day!)

    Finally, I got this wedding photo-- if you are a fan of my blog, you know we have been under construction here for about a year. Like I always say, I knew I would have a beautiful home when I married an architect, but I never realized what it would take to get it. So my daughter's wedding this year was on top of Mt. Washington in New Hampshire-- wouldn't you know it, when we got up there-- construction was going on!! We had to beg the photographer to take this shot-- eschewing the gorgeous backdrops all around us-- but trust me, this was my favorite, and the most appropriate photo of the day.

     So that was the Santa haul-- now, I had a few good chuckles to myself, as packages kept arriving for this one and that one well after Christmas! I guess we just each wanted to make sure we got what we really wanted. They were all making a mockery of me each time a fabric package came in, but believe me, they had just as many. Fabric stores should try to be more discreet. 

     Here are "my" packages--

   I bought the finishing kit for the December Sew Sampler box. Now, just looking at that ghastly green, I have to wonder why I did that. I just wanted to complete my box challenge-- completing all twelve Sew Sampler boxes of 2023. It's going to take the better part of January to wrap it up-- and I can already see it dragging beyond that. But I really want to. 

     The Seasonal Stitchy Stars kit was a bit of an impulse buy. But nothing wrong with those colors! I don't have a table long enough for it-- but it would be easy to use the blocks for a squarer shape, or pillows. The pumpkin zipper pull was 50% off-- it is sew fun to add one of these to your pocket book.


     Then my Kona calendar and charm pack squares came in. What a feast for the eyes! The calendar has a quilt block each month-- and there a twelve months of Kona solid charm packs-- no two squares alike. I really hope I use them this year. As you see, there's a quilt-a-month-- no, thanks!-- or just make a block a month. Yes, please.



     Finally, the Tilda Christmas quilt fabric came in. I love her aesthetic and both the fabric and the pattern are just that little bit different from what you usually see. So want to make it! Just look at those little mice.


   I do feel a bit guilty about my spending-- things are not cheap these days! Obviously I was working really hard last month and just starting rewarding myself. When am I going to have time to make all these things? So it's New Year's "diet" resolution time once again.


    I did try to get at least 15 minutes of sewing in each night, but mostly failed. Too busy and too tired. My Alfresco quilt got the borders completed, and everything else is cut. I have corner stars and assembly to go. Do or die, this week-- I have a Jolly Box, and now the December box sitting around! Then, that's it for Sew Sampler challenge-- I'm keeping my subscription for the time being, but only making the ones I love this year. When I think back on the year, there has just been way too much pink.


     So I have to admit, whe I laid this out on the floor for the first time-- instead of a "WOW" moment, I got a "MEH!" I'm not totally in love with that purple... maybe there's a reason for all those white backgrounds in the Sew Sampler boxes. There goes my New Year's positivity, and it's not even lunch time! I guess I'll chalk it up to experience-- I am glad I tried something different. There ya go. And that's it for sewing last week.

     I have a ton of ideas for next year's embroidery.. a complete fountain. I am bit gun shy of starting a new BOM-- the monthly commitment is a creativity crusher. I have some ideas, but instead of just diving in, I'm going to slip in sideways, and see where they go. The BOM so far is that I am going to make monthly holiday bowl fillers-- January's theme is going to be sewing-- we already did winter. And then February will be Valentine's Day and so on.

     I also had a cute idea for a monthly cross stitch village series-- temporarily named "Lands That I Love." The first would be "Winterland," the second, again for Valentine's Day would be "Heartland"-- maybe just "Ireland" for a St. Patrick's day theme. Here are loose sketches for the first two-- it is so nice to use a pencil again, I can't tell you. December was a month of staring at a computer screen.




        I happen to know a monthly cross stitch wreath would be extremely popular. Weigh in below-- thumbs up or down? What would you like to see?

     So that's cross stitch ideas-- yup, there are those of your who don't appreciate it. I had some comments at the time of the stitch-a-long-- you know, it was only the paying customers of 2023 who got it FREE-- so a few people commented they didn't like anything last year, too much cross stitch, that's why they didn't buy! Haha-- how's that for a way to ingratiate yourself? I do hear you-- but there were quite a few regular embroidery sets last year, but trust me when I say, cross stitch got the bills paid last year. 

   I do have many, many plans for regular embroidery. First up, because a 12 month commitment is hard, how about four months? I'd love to do LARGE Winter Twist blocks early this year. I loved doing them last year, and I'm learning to appreciate winter more in my current location! How about it?


 I also want to make a bunch of sewing themed things this winter-- always a customer favorite-- and NOT cross stitch. Thread Zen, anyone?


 Sewing snowglobes? Too much winter? Seasonal Sewing Snowglobes?


    And trust me, there are many, many more things swimming in my head for 2024! I was going to come up with a "Word of the Year," to focus my efforts. But the habit seems a bit silly to me-- does it to you? I am much more than one word.

    Nevertheless the DD made me come up with a potential one-- drum roll, please. It is....




SELFISH!


Yes, I intend to spend a TON of time enjoying myself and sewing, sewing, sewing, and only coming out to pet chickens!



Thanks for reading and have a lovely first day of the year!
xox
Carol


24 comments:

  1. "Santa" was good to you and you deserve it. Looking forward to the "land" cross stitch designs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love ALL your ideas - you do such a GREAT job bringing your ideas to LIFE. I'm kind of surprised at comments about too much cross stitch. I've been seeing more and more people doing the cross stitch designs that were so popular back in the 80's, etc. I LOVE the machine embroidery cross stitch because they have the look of hand stitched but done is a much quicker time frame, not to mention easier (for me) on the eyes, LOL. Wishing you and yours a WONDERFUL 2024 - looking forward to all your incredible designs. XOXO Dottie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the cross stitch ideas! Keep them coming. Also the sewing themed ideas! I'm still working on getting back into my sewing room, terribly slow process of sorting and organizing, and I can't find anything much to get rid of or my labeling machine so I can label all the bins!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your cross stitch designs and looking forward to more of them. Actually enjoy all of your designs and although I haven't stitched out every one that I have purchased, I keep adding to my collection in the hope that more hours will be added to the day and that my dear spouse will not expect cooking and housekeeping from me. Have a good year and keep up the brilliant work

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the cross stitch I did with you last year! I think your 2024 ideas are great! A monthly wreath would be cute too. I like your idea of lands that I love. Your company is one of my favorites for embroidery designs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my!! I love your ideas and, like Dottie, I can't wait for them to come to LIFE!! You know how I feel about the cross stitch, so I'm a happy camper that you're going to offer some of both. I do have an EXTENSIVE collection of cross stitch goodies, but most are still unstitched...actually I wasn't near as productive in 2023 as I wanted to be...so 2024 will be the year to stitch, stitch, stitch. Happy New Year to you and family, one of your #1 fans.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the idea of four block vs 12 blocks especially on seasonal items. Looking forward to the new designs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the non cross stitch designs the most. They are works of art. Enjoy your blog and hope you can treat yourself lots in the coming months.
    I’m trying to straighten out my studio. It’s a long process but I can see the floor now, so progress is happening!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I absolutely love your cross stitch designs- please keep them coming! I like the idea of the villages. I pretty much like anything you do. Unfortunately, I won't be doing much embroidery for the beginning of this year since I fell and broke my leg/ankle in 3 places on Christmas Eve! What a way to start 2024.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear. That’s awful. Hope u get back to your machines soon. In the meantime, perhaps some handwork. Happy New Year!

      Delete
    2. I broke my right shoulder in June I am only able to embroidery by machine. Learned to thread left handed. Please please hurry with all your cross stitch designs. I love them. I’ve purchased a lot these last few months while recovering from 2 surgeries. Let the stitching begin!!!

      Delete
  10. I love the idea of seasonal! And the sewing themed. And cardinals are my favorite though we don’t have them in Alaska. That doesn’t keep me from loving them!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Erni Hick: Now this is my kind of newsletter! I did a lot right -ons,
    , ya baby, and a few you go girl. This was so on the money! I smiled, LOLed,
    , My better half finally had enough and asked me to keep the noise down! Ha!
    Keep your chin up. your humor is good for the soul!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I absolutely love the cross stitch patterns
    Looks like lots of neat things coming for the New Year 💙

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the idea of sewing themes and your zen designs. More non- cross stitch please.

    ReplyDelete
  14. If you want to cross stitch, why not digitize your cross stitch and do it on your sewing machine? Does your software do cross stitch? I’ve had good luck with my P+2 software, it does an awesome job. (What part of chilly, wet Me. Are you in? Just curious, I lived in Jackman for 35+ years. Never had a down jacket though)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is all digitized, Carole-- the point is, we started dividing our time between normal machine embroidery and cross stitch machine embroidery a couple of years ago, so what percentage of time goes to each? We are in Kingfield-- where it is currently a balmy 28!

      Delete
    2. I thought when I saw your picture of the high water, “I wonder if that is Kingfield”, does Michael Kankanien still live in the middle of the river? Maybe after that high water he floated away. I knew Michael and his family back in the 60’s, not that that is dating me or him! I do have fond memories of visiting Kingfield. My mother actually working on the Mountain the year I was in beautician’s school in Skowhegan, and my father trapped with Mauro Kankanien (Michael’s father).

      Delete
  15. Finally figured out how to post a comment. 🤣 Just love reading your blog and looking at all you accomplish! I love your cross-stitch designs. We visited friends of ours who live in Bar Harbor. I made a trivet block using your state of Maine design. I’ve purchased all your monthly bowl fillers. I’m just way behind making them!!! Plans for 2024 are to do more sewing!!!! I’m retired and bought myself an embroidery machine before I retired. Love it! Here’s to a healthy, happy, & prosperous 2024 for all!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Another cross stitch lover here - I love all your ideas for new ones!! It looks like you had a fabulous, well deserved Christmas! I am on a fabric diet - I feel so overwhelmed when I look at my stash. That's the upside of collecting embroidery designs, they don't take up much space, lol. I lost of lot of my sewing/embroidery mojo last year, but it's come back pretty strong over the holidays. I look forward to seeing what 2024 brings - sending good vibes to all of us for a happy, healthy, and productive new year!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I realy love all Your Zen designs. I have embroidered 3 of the apples still have to do the last one, they embroider so beautiful and then I need to do the Pumpkin it is so lovely,

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the machine embroidery cross stitch. I think it is wonderful and hope you don’t give up on it because of a few naysayers. Happy new year and I really look forward to your new creations!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love all your posts and designs! I've been purchasing for years! Really have always loved the designs that make a project, whether a bowl fillers or wall hanging! I just need to spend more time with my embroidery machine! I think it's OK to be selfish!
    And actually kind of healthy! Take care of you and happy creating!

    ReplyDelete