Sunday, March 14, 2021

Daylight Spendings Time...

 Last night was Daylight Savings-- spring forward-- does anyone? I will be spending the next two weeks dazed and confused about what time it is.

I got up this morning at the usual time--7:00am for me-- the clock said 8:00am-- did I change that clock? And so it goes. I sat down for my handstitching feeling grumpy, and was surprised by this pretty sight--


This morning's task was to handstitch the binding down on my new carrot mug rug-- there is nothing on earth so gorgeous as quilting at sunrise. This inspired me to change my attitude-- so I immediate started pondering how nice it was to get up earlier and greet the sun-- before realizing I was up at the same time as always, 7:00? 8:00? (sigh)

     Most of my week was spent getting my spring tablerunner out. If you haven't seen it--


Fig Tree Quilts graciously allowed me to post it on their Facebook page because it is made mostly of Joanna's fabrics-- and it got 512 likes! (The fact that we only got 14 likes on our own page just further confirms my theory that, while Fig Tree customers are foolin' around on the web, mine are sewing, sewing, sewing! :-)

Then, a customer complained that she would have to go out and buy orange fabric. I looked it up, and orange is going to be hot this summer, so I wrote her back to buy a couple yards of it and make a skirt! But for all of you who are lacking in orange fabric--and time-- I have a thread version coming out this week for a 5x7 hoop.


It's ready, but I'll probably post it on Tuesday. I have learned over the years that Monday mornings are where machine embroidery releases go to die-- a Monday after Daylight Savings? Yikes.

Now I'll take you back two weeks to what inspired this collection--

My DD came with me to the grocery store, and upon spying these said, "I would definitely eat carrots if we got those." 


So the bag of "Carrotes Mulitcolores" came home with us-- and this picture was taken this morning, so you can see they still haven't been touched. (This also, BTW, squashes the theory that you need orange fabric to make the tablerunner.)

Normally, I would go out and buy colorful candy for a photoshoot-- but if ever the time was for veggies, it is NOW.


I got out my peeler, and was instantly reminded of the trimmings when squaring up a bunch of half square triangles. As you can probably guess, the rotary cutter gets more action than a vegetable peeler in this establishment.


There! Don't they look like M&M's? I am quite sure the whites taste like pineapple, the purples taste like black cherry, and the oranges taste like... well, orange. To add to my list of delights this morning-- cutting open the purple carrot was a really great surprise.


I will have to get back to you on how they taste. Whatever time it is, it is still too early for carrots. They are packed up in a snack bag for "later."


For my hobby sewing last week, I did get the rows together on "Alaska." It should be super easy to finish this top. My goal is a table runner a month and four quilts this year-- wow, I'm actually doing something I said! I'll be glad to finish this snowflake now that spring is here... I really want to start working on Halloween next-- yup, I'm a contrarion when it comes to seasonal projects.


All the carrot-ty fun this morning now has me in a high good humor-- wishing you all the same-- have a great rest of the week, clocks aside!

xox

Carol

Scrappy Carrots Tablerunner


3 comments:

  1. Congrats on all your stitching!! And, those carrots look AMAZING! Saw a cooking segment on PBS yesterday for carrot salad......they peeled the carrots into long strips with the peeler, cooked them in a bit of water for 3 minutes (almost like blanching), drained them and dressed the strips with a vinaigrette dressing. Simple and looked/sounded delicious. It would be so pretty with these beautiful carrots.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always love a bit of orange, whether it be your actual orange, a carrot or patchwork fabric. One of my favourite pairs of shoes ever were orange sandals. (Overheard a fellow worker comment on my "ugly shoes" - what would she know?). However, seeing your coloured carrots made me think back to your wonderful le Petit Jardin project (which is still another UFO - sigh!)but also made me want to make the current table runner using a variety of carrot colours. Let's see how far that idea gets today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thoroughly enjoyed this post, and really love your carrots table runner and wee quilt: both versions are terrific! I'd better buy some more orange fabric if it's the new "it" fabric; the way prices are going up on our quilt yardage that would also be prudent to stock up!

    ReplyDelete