Monday, March 22, 2021

Happy National Sewing Day!

   If you poke around social media, you'll know that's what last Saturday was...  I didn't find out until Sunday. You may be surprised to find out that I did not sew a stitch that day, but the rest of the 364 days I did thousands, which only proves it has always got to be against the grain with me!

    Last week (before Saturday) Alaska became a finished top. I may add borders, but I am counting this as one of my four quilt finished for the year. (Does not have to be quilted, in my book.)


There it is, on my design bannister-- I wonder, does anyone going up and down those steps notice that it has grown? I doubt it, and it's my own fault as they have all become habitualized to quilt parts laying anywhere and everywhere.

Someone on one of my Facebook groups posted the question: "What is your LEAST favorite part of quilting?" and I really enjoyed discovering that each and every part of this process is HATED by at least one person. Squaring up blocks, binding, starching, you name it-- for me, it is definitely sewing rows together but I powered through. So many points! There were 72 pins in every seam.

I also pulled this out last week-- I haven't updated you on the Very Coriander Christmas BOM, because it sat idle for two months. 

My February block got stuck at Fat Quartershop in Texas, right before that big freeze... it has now shown up, and the March block is right on its heels. I fully intend to keep up with this and it could easily be my second quilt of the year, unless the finishing kit is overwhelming. To that end, I peeked ahead in the book. (As part of my "against the stream" nature--I do read endings first.)\


I noticed each block starts with a small red triangle in each corner-- it cleverly works with these arrow sashing shapes to make a star in each cornerstone. So part of the work is done already-- I'm good with that! Should be do-able.


   This pattern would work with any fabric collection, not just Christmas. Corey Yoder, the designer, is making another one in her Apricot and Ash fabrics. It's just the right amount of work each month, and I highly recommend it.

    Carefree Highways is rolling again... Set Four is going to be called "New and North" (clever, huh!) and includes New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, North Carolina, and North Dakota. Two down, three to go.



The enthusiasm for this series has been tremendous-- it's a joy for me to know so many of you love cross stitch and love learning about our states like I do. I am going to make more that one Christmas present out of these-- using just a single design to make a nice present-- I have connections in New Jersey, Georgia, California, Texas, Minnesota, and Florida just to name a few. Stay tuned to see what I come up with! Click below to see if you state is ready... and if you have a cool theme for a set of five, let me know... I was thinking of a "Land O' Lakes" idea  next for states with many of them?

Carefree Highways

I bought this beautiful box from Joann Fabrics to store my stitchouts.




Once we get to 25 states, we're going to start setting these into blue sawtooth stars... then for the border, we're thinking of red and white stripes? I honestly think if we put the petal to the metal we could have these all digitized by the end of the year. 

A BIG Christmas present? I think not. :-)


And finally, here is something that IS a complete set...


Finishing kits are a high priority this week-- SEW FUN to try to envision what beautiful piece will come out of this. If you fell by the wayside, you can pick up your missing blocks at a discount this week-- the charm size will appear in your cart as 99 cents each, and the 5x5 set will be $1.99 each. There's time to stitch them and catch up, because the finishing kits will take a couple of weeks.

Once Upon A Time, Winter

This is probably the only thing about last winter I'm sad to say goodbye to!

Now get out there and get your stitching week started!

xoxo

Carol

5 comments:

  1. YAY - Alaska looks FANTASTIC!! Very Coriander looks great, too. AND, of course, the new cross stitch states look WONDERFUL and the box storing the states is really neat for all the digitizing projects you do - THANK YOU for all the travel destinations (past, current, future).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of these days I will get in my car again and do a real trip!! xoxo

      Delete
  2. I am in love with everthing you do and present us with, I have very excitedly at the end of each week looked forward to our next square for 'once upon a winter' and eagerly await the finishing touches - You really are a star and love xstitch and look forward to open your emails as soon as I see them in my email box.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so kind, Rosie-- hugs-- it is easy to feel alone in front of a screen all day, but at the same time, the connections made possible through the internet are endless and very real. xoxo

      Delete
  3. When I read "put the petal to the metal" in your post, I was a bit confused. Did you mean "pedal"? That's how I know the phrase. Anyway, the Alaska quilt is gorgeous! Yay for finishing it!

    ReplyDelete