Saturday, July 31, 2021

The Dog Days of August Have Arrived

   Now that the Summer Twist stitch-a-long has wrapped up, things have really quieted down on the business side! It is pointless to tempt people to sew when the outdoors are beckoning... so this is the time we start to think about fall and Christmas sets.

    This week, I got three-fourths of the way through this fabulous Christmas ABCs cross stitch set-- with four 5x7 hoopings, you get a fabulous 12" block!


     It has been sew much fun thinking of a "thing" for each letter-- so proud of the way the "Kings" and "Jesus" work together-- and how about that cute "Village?" I bought a pretty piece of Lugana fabric from EverythingCrossStitch.com. It is 28 count, which means if you were handstitching a14ct design, you'd do it over two threads. What it means to a machine embroiderer-- none of the big holes that Aida has-- it's a very fine weave, so even under very close inspection now, you won't see that the holes aren't aligned.


    I posted some peeks on Facebook-- this beauty won't be for sale until October, so you have to wait! I have ton of Christmas wall decor, so I'm thinking of a pillow-- I love to work in a series, so should I do a Halloween version?

    So while we're talking cross stitch, here's my two week progress on this pretty handstitched thing:



    Not bad, huh! I think I am about 1/4 done-- that's two months of work-- so I could be finished by the end of February. Unfortunately, the gray block behind "Back to School" was two-plus hours of work, and it killed my enthusiasm. Also, I figured out those acorns were supposed to be green-- they're staying brown-- so it might be time to move on for a bit. Apple Lady still needs her backstitch.

     For quilty goals-- I'd love to have my Coriander Christmas Block of the Month done by the end of August! Here's Block 11 finished last night: 


     Block Twelve is such soft, lovely colors-- I'm hoping to cut Block 12 tonight and get as far as I can before Monday. 



    After that, it's the part I strongly dislike-- wrangling with rows and increasingly sized pieces! I have the sashing kit already-- it came with Block 12. Could be on my bed in time for Christmas!

   You know I've promised to never dive into cooking or housecleaning tips, or God forbid, beauty. But I can't resist showing off my garden from time to time!


You know how you're supposed to do your plantings so that you have successive blooming all through the year-- well, I did not plan this garden, and whoever did, went for broke in July!


Absolutely everything comes out at once, and it is beautiful!




We are also lucky to have some pretty stone walls-- do not be tempted to go up that charming stair, though-- always go around-- or you will get a face full of spider webs!


In the front gardens-- I have to report a tragedy. 

I thought we had one of these:



But it turned out to be this:



Or rather, two of them. So absolutely ALL of my annuals-- including marigolds, salvia, impatiens, coleus-- were eaten in one night.

Gosh, I'd love to just be able to bill them for the "salad!"

So the quandary is-- replant, or just mulch? I will mull that over from the safety of my sewing room, and until I decide I guess we'll just have to say,



xox

Carol



2 comments:

  1. You're making great progress on your autumn stitchery......I hit a "screeching" halt on the OLD needlepoint I've been working on......so many tight areas with 4 stitches of this color, 5 stitches of that color, 2 stitches of another color, etc. Unfortunately the chart isn't colorized and it's pretty hard trying to determine exactly what color goes which place. I've been SLOWLY putting stitches in and keeping my fingers crossed that they'll all play nice together.

    The new Christmas stitchery looks great - Halloween would be great, too (in your spare time, of course, LOL).

    Your garden is beautiful and your quilt block looks wonderful.....I've "almost" got my daughter's quilt ready for the longarmer....hopefully it'll be headed out this week. Have a great week! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am loving both cross sticheries (not sure if that's a word, lol) - both the hand and machine types. I gave in on the one that I mentioned last time and gridded it and then started unstitching the areas that are badly out of alignment. I really love the design (Paula Vaughan, The Porch Swing), and want it to be right without too many 'fudges'. On another note, since it's clear you have lots of spare time (rofl), I hope one of these days we get a complete alphabet like the Welcome Christmas design from a couple (few?) years ago :-) As always, thank you for beautiful designs that I love to stitch out!

    ReplyDelete