Saturday, May 13, 2023

A Mini Vacation

      I took three days last week to travel to see my son and help work on his bathroom renovation. I love a good home improvement project. Best of all, my DD, the artist-in-residence came along.

     


     It's about a five-hour road trip-- we picked up a mini jack hammer rental at Home Depot and groveled around the floor for another five hours. Wow, that old tile just did not want to come up! We got about 85% done-- both of us had pretty much had it. This has been a long term project, and promises to drag on for a few months yet!

     The second day, we both had appointments with our old dentist, and then we visited some old haunts like Scusset Beach and the Cape Cod Canal.


     It was a glorious day in the 80s. 


     Plymouth has a  vibrant art community, and this spring they had a show of crocheted ocean mammals all over town. I'm not making that up! Realistic right down to the barnacles.


    They were just wonderful. Nothing is better to me then when artists pursue their own creative ideas-- no holds barred.

 


     I was so hoping their would be some quilt-y whales, too, but only yarn was used.


The columns on this building had sea creatures and vegetable wrap...
just look at the wonderful corn!


This must have been really fun to put together--- I have to imagine it was a collaboration of more that one talented crocheter. I'm sure a ton of yarn "stash" was used up!


     Then we visited the local art center-- I used to volunteer there quite a few years ago, and also entered some of my smaller wall hangings for display. I didn't recognize anyone and the whole place has undergone a renovation. I think if I was still working there now, I would have to dress better--heehee. There were watercolors and photography on display, of very high quality.


I did recognize many of the artists, still working away. Tony Visco is above, and Becky Haletky below.


This one is by a very prolific artist, Andrew Kusmin-- I want to buy it, just for the can of Diet Coke!



     I linked the artist's name to their website if you are happily scrolling right now. They are very inspiring to explore.

     That night, we got caught in a fabulous thunderstorm while eating fish 'n chips by the water. It was a perfect day, honestly! Then on Day Three, I got to have breakfast with one of my old quilting besties, before heading home.

     Not much sewing or embroidery, or stitching by machine or hand to speak of this week! I brought my Halloween Town cross stitch, but was too tired at night to even touch it. I have to say I am still feeling very unsettled for whatever reason-- I just can't get over the move, there are a lot of family situations going on, and my mind is just very full right now.



     I'm settling back in now for a few week's time-- there is really nothing in my schedule until the end of June. I have a secret BIG project to finish-- and I also bought the yearly BOM fabric that comes in the Sew Sampler boxes, as well as the kit for the free Halloween stitch-a-long starting in June. Hoping some new projects will bring some peace, love, and joy to my little sewing room once again.

xox
Carol



3 comments:

  1. Sending you lots of love and hugs. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adored the crochet sea animals. And the pictures from the art gallery. I've experienced an Unsettled feeling, along with anxiety (very out of character for me) - went to the doctor and found I had extremely high blood pressure. Scarily high. So ... just in case ... maybe get your general health checked out? Hugs from me too.

    ReplyDelete