Sunday, June 7, 2020

Not keeping calm and not stitching on...



When I designed this before Christmas,
 I very little imagined how inappropriate a beautiful, flowery setting would be for this year.



Now 2020 is sure to be featured prominently in the history books along with "1914" and "1941."

On political matters, silence can still be golden right now, 
of that I am convinced.


It was distressing to me last week to see good people tearing each other apart on Instagram, as they forget how much we all agree on. 

So I am currently avoiding social media for the most part, but I feel I at least owe an explanation of my absence and why the monthly programs are a struggle right now. 

In addition to the present crisis, May was a month of personal horrors-- my daughter ended up on the COVID floor of the hospital, with what thankfully turned out to be mono.

Did you notice in my last post all the new projects started? 
LOL--in hindsight, it was a symptom of anxiety. I realized this when I then started wanting to throw them all out-- 
stress is killing creativity right now.

This is a cute Halloween quilt I was working on, almost finished--


I started it last year. My daughter and I have a "thing" with skulls--
that is-- we HATE them!!

So every time we see one on an article of clothing or whatnot adorned with skulls, we say-- "Oh! Isn't that so cute!"


When I saw this pattern, I knew I had to make it for her. (The fabrics ARE really cute--not scary at all.)



Thinking of this hanging in her apartment in NYC this year on Halloween was giving me so much pleasure as I stitched along-- then along comes COVID, my dear daughter's life has been totally disrupted as she now lives at home. Worst of all, the whole project has a acquired a sinister feel...


So that now resides unfinished in a closet-- 
not to be taken out again anytime soon.

Then, you may have seen in my last post, I was starting this new table runner for Fourth of July-- the fabrics are just gorgeous and I was so excited to make it-- envisioning the first family gathering in ages, outdoors on the deck, all my loved ones spilling BBQ sauce on a gorgeous table runner...


Then last week happened, and I'm not really feeling it.


Finally, I decided to start my "Dessert Sampler Quilt."
I've had this beautiful kit in my closet for two years--



Can Dessert ever lose its appeal with me?

Apparently it can, because I can't even finish the first block. This photo is a metaphor for my mental health right now. I think there is too much time, when sewing, for brooding to occur.
My husband bought me wonderful new headphones-- but loud music hasn't drowned out negative thoughts, either!


I am struggling right now--
thinking of how to become a better person, a better wife, a better mom, a better friend, a better citizen...

Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle”.

Please know that my silence isn't violence-- 

You are welcome here with opens arms.

Your struggles are mine.



Just need a little time for processing. 

xox
Carol