Sunday, March 12, 2023

An Expensive Week!

    It's been a very expensive and educational week here at Sugar Meadow. Things are breaking right and left, and home insurance, car insurance, even the AAA Gold membership we have paid for over the last 30 years covers none of it, as the various bureaucracies informed us. If you have ever thought that it's all and only about sewing here in Blogland, you are mistaken. But one of the benefits of being older (there are many) is that you can shrug off bad news fairly easily-- we've done it all, haven't we? No one is hurt and we've been able to get out of trouble as quickly as we've gotten into it. And the best news-- my sewing projects were only slowed down a little!

    Back to the happy world of Blogland... this happened over the weekend!


   A Ribbon Runs Through It is a completed top... all 5,000 pieces. The requisite amount of time pinning and groveling about the concrete floor has been served... my knees loved every minute!

     If I may say so, I did a beautiful job piecing this quilt... those little squares are 1/2"! I always took the time to go back and pick out seams where my points got chopped, or sew a seam a little tighter where they missed. The finished size was supposed to be 99-1/2" x 99-1/2" and it came out exactly that. I think history will judge me very kindly as the maker of this quilt. <3


     The instructions by Lynne Wilder of Sew 'n Wild Oaks were very well written, and special thanks to Fat Quarter Shop for offering this sew-a-long. You all got me through my mom's illness and a stressful move as I secretly did a little sewing each month at night.


     I'm looking at another Lynne Wilder pattern-- The Country Charmer-- or maybe I'll finally switch over the the Barn Sampler... it looks easy now! (No, she's not standing on the quilt.)


     The quilt fits perfectly on our queen size bed-- I can only attribute that to pure luck, because I never check the size of a pattern before buying it, do you? I just go by looks-hehe. Hoping to get it sent out for quilting by the end of the month-- even if my longarm was assembled at this point in time, it wouldn't fit!


     I finished my February Sew Sampler box in four days-- it still has to be quilted. These boxes are easier to complete than I thought. I'm really looking forward to having a stack of gift pieces ready to go. With the extra time before the March box, I went back and started my Cupid Box. In addition to the monthly boxes, Fat Quarter Shop does four special boxes a year-- you don't have to subscribe, so it's a good place to jump in if you just want to try one. The pattern was a striped heart on a gray background, not my favorite, so here I am in left field again, making up a jelly roll pattern for the provided strips as I go along. I love it!


     This is as far as I got with the 20 jelly roll strips provided... I broke another promise to myself, and ordered more of the Heatherlee Chan XOXO fabric. I think my stash is getting as fusty, dusty old as I am-- I tried to add from it, but none of the colors matched, none of the patterns were fresh enough-- I had the same problem trying to add to the February box. My son's fiancĂ© would love this-- he's a mechanic and there's red trucks and other vehicles throughout-- perfect for a late engagement gift. So that's what I heard in my head  as I pressed the order button for about six more yards.


 It has been a ton of fun, like a puzzle-- I love a puzzle, and I might even write a pattern for it on my Etsy shop. Here's what I'm working toward:


The big outside border is this beautiful watercolored floral and brings the size of the quilt to a respectable 54" x 54." I will definitely have this done by the time the July Liberty Box comes along!



In other happy news, Sugar Meadow has produced it's first maple syrup! That's our Sugar Shack in the background-- what a process to turn 40 gallons of sap into 1 gallon of syrup. 


    The artist-in-residence and her fiancĂ© have figured it all out on their own. The kids put it the syrup up on their Etsy shop and the entire first year's estimated production is sold out-- there's a waiting list at this point!


    Finally, the meadow has a porcupine! Another cute Winter Twist animal, or a varmint that destroys acres of forest each year?


     At first, we thought he was a real cutie pie--he moves only slightly faster than a sloth and appeared to be waving at us from the trees. Even better-- he was leaving me the gift of "sewing needles" everywhere!


    Then, we noticed he ate the bark off an entire tree! Even if you only take the bark off a tree in a small ring, the tree dies-- sap can't flow up and down to nourish the new leaves. After that discovery, it then became war, as we Googled up ways of getting rid of him-- trapping, coyote urine, pepper spray... lethal force is not recommended, as then you have a spiny body to get rid of!


So far, he's made a total fool out of us.

    So that was my week. It's "Spring Forward" Sunday, but I have to confess the past few days sucked any spring I had out of me. I'm ready for some warmer weather-- but not before a few more long winter's naps.


xox
Carol

7 comments:

  1. A Ribbon Runs Through It is absolutely stunning!! Great job. You have two weddings coming up - you'll be busy, busy, busy (busier than normal). Your porcupine sounds like he's just TOO friendly. I thought beavers were bad at destroying trees - didn't know that porcupines were as well. That syrup looks AWESOME - I can almost taste it - drizzled on some vanilla ice cream sounds pretty good, or maybe some just out of the oven apple pie. Yum. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful quilt! Sorry about your pokey little friend. Can you cut your tree line back to move him/her away?

    ReplyDelete
  3. A Ribbon Runs Through It is spectacular!! You deserve all the praise for perseverance and excellence in piecing. You must have a wonderful feeling of accomplishment as well you should.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my, so sorry to hear about your various breaks and expensive repairs all at the same time. I hope the rest of the year everything runs perfectly. Your quilts are beautiful. And your first bottle of maple syrup look absolutely yummy (adorable logo). I had no idea a porcupine would cause such damage. I hope you find a good way to deter him from your trees and hopefully move him far, far away.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! That quilt is beautiful! So many tiny seams. I’m afraid I would be a basket case by the time I sewed all those seams. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your quilt is gorgeous. I can sympathize about everything breaking down at the same time. Mine just have been doing it in a series. They just don't make things like they used to.

    We have a pack of coyotes in our meadow. It's up to you to figure out how to get the urine for your porcupine project and get it across the country. :-) We have some species of woodpeckers that like to peck on the Cemtex siding of our house. Hubby scares them and the coyotes who come too close to the house away - like within 10 feet of the house.
    It looks a little tacky, but it works. Sort of like the mylar streamers some of the vineyards in California use. They're smart critters. They have lots of trees and 80 acres to fly and roam around.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't tell you how much I enjoy reading your blog posts. I'm sad that we are no longer NJ neighbors but it is such fun to see what you are creating. I only do a bit of quilting as my main interest is in upcycling and sewing dresses for my granddaughters. :) Happy creating.

    ReplyDelete