Sunday, February 25, 2024

Why do I keep buying more projects?

       A little progress this week, but a lot of shopping-- that does not make for  a good start vs. finish ratio! Let's start with the shopping-- did I not say I was done with cross stitch for awhile? So I kitted up two new projects for myself. And no, the Lori Holt sewing icon piece is not finished yet.

     So this is the "Valentine's Day Quaker"-- Valentine's Day is special around here since it is Mr. SFO's birthday and yes, I have a year to make this. So the color floss was supposed to be "Ripe Melon," but I couldn't find it anywhere. I assume a lot of people are making this cute one color thing. So I went with "Crab Cakes," which is a little less pink and a lot more peachy-- that's an upgrade anyway according to my own color preference. We had seafood for the birthday party, so I may have been under the influence of lobster when I made that decision. It's definitely brighter than the picture shows and the Aida cloth is ivory-- I think it's going to work. So the only question I haven't answered yet-- when am I ever going to make this thing? I'm clueless on that.


     Not to be deterred by the mundane worries of time management, I went ahead and kitted "Heartland." I love this little land-- and I'd love to see what a handstitched version would look like. 


      The colors are beautiful and I can't wait to get started. When, you say? Good question. I just noticed I forgot white, so it won't be anytime soon! 

     You may have seen the Fat Quarter Shop's free gift with orders over $50 last week-- a $50 grab bag of Valentine cross stitch items. I guess I apparently needed more random cross stitch stuff, so I ordered. Here's what I got:


    Jokes on me! I already have all of these things-- a project bag, the floss colors and holders-- I do like the little XOXO charm. I can probably use doubles of these things. And I guess we can all be relieved that it wasn't another third Valentine pattern to make, whenever I get time to make them.

     I also had a trip to the big city, Augusta, this weekend-- and found some more Valentine stuff on clearance at Michaels. What all this proves is that I am just a sucker for cuteness, especially at low prices. But I do hope to get back to scrapbooking when my space is finished-- and I will be ready for all the Valentine birthday pages!


     Then, at Hobby Lobby, I raided the Aida. That's fun to say.


   $3.99 is a great price-- but these pieces aren't huge. We're set for more bowl fillers now!

     Then, I succumbed to the Lori Holt Vintage Christmas stitch-a-long-- that doesn't get delivered till July thank goodness. And I'm about to click the button on this:


    It is "Happy Christmas" by Maker Valley. I have had my eye on that pattern for a long time-- but I don't really have a variety of background prints you would need for it-- oh, wait-- I found a kit on Etsy! Problem solved. Click!

    Tomorrow, "Moonbeams," the Fat Quarter Shop Make-a-Wish projects arrives, and the Sew Sampler Box comes the same day. I'll definitely try to be the one to sneak out to get the mail tomorrow! Moonbeams comes with the complete pattern, I believe-- so that frees me to go at my own pace, I guess. Is part of the "pace" when it sits on a shelf for months? I hope not.


  And, oh so, unfortunately, I looked at a spoiler for the Sew Sampler Box, and I do like the fabric. It's Kim Diehl "Quiet Grace"-- such a welcome change from the bright fabrics you usually get and perfect for a leaf quilt-- I've always wanted one! Added to the list.



     Meanwhile the Cupid Box is still floating around somewhere, waiting to be noticed. And the Pressed Flowers stitch-a-long is almost done-- ready to be made into a quilt. Do I have a problem?

     I have an entire collection of UFOs from a past life still in storage after our move. But what has happened now, is that I have a whole new set of stuff from the past year and a half that's beginning to pile up. This summer, those two worlds will collide in a brand new sewing space-- YIKES-- stick around and see what happens!

     Wouldn't it be great if I we could have as much progress as we could buy each week? If we could say-- I finished three cross stitches, four quilts, and ten years of Valentine party scrapbook pages this week? So let's now take a look at what I got done...

    Half of a quilt block got stitched down...


    Then I figured out my plan for the Kona star is not going to work with a charm pack. I will expound upon that in a future episode-- but for now, I just realized something is very wrong when you can't get a 16 inch block out of a charm pack. Sounds crazy, but it's true. Imagine how justified I felt when Kimberly Jolly herself admitted on her YouTube show last Friday that she had to buy a second charm pack for the February block. My squares are presently starched and awaiting Plan B.



And that's everything I accomplished this past week!


    In my defense, I did complete this fabulous original thing which has sold well-- TYSVM, everyone. 


    I have also made tremendous progress on the dreaded T-A-X-E-S-- the earliest I have ever been with this awful task. Yes, that upside down part of the year, when you hope you didn't make too much and you are so glad you spent a ton on supplies! And it even looks like I'll be paying off some of those kits with a refund, fingers crossed.

     Then, I have been doing a major spring cleaning of the entire house. This is the little corner I have been crushed into for the past year-- I'm not complaining, it's quite cozy, and I can see everything that goes on around here from behind that computer monitor!


     Hopefully, you are not thinking that's the BEFORE picture, no, that's AFTER cleaning! "BEFORE" was totally APPALLING, trust me. Yes, I still have a little tidy up left to do. 

   After cleaning up, it is amazing how much more inviting it is to sit down and do a little sewing-- but all those projects aren't going to get much attention this week...

    We have visitors coming! Yes-- if it wasn't for company, housekeeping would never occur around here at all. An intrepid part of the family has decided to brave the temps, and the long journey, and come see us in February- I am so looking forward to a little change of pace, some good food, and some catch up with the outside world. All those kits will still be there when I'm ready, right?

     So that's the state of my little world this week-- now go enjoy yours!

xox
Carol




1 comment:

  1. LOVE that Valentine's Quaker - it's (to me) very comforting and your floss looks perfect.

    Enjoy your company - it's always fun to have visitors (except for me, the mad dash to clean/clear everything so they don't think I'm an absolute slob, LOL). XOXO Dottie

    ReplyDelete