Thursday, October 22, 2020

Sew She's at it Again...

I am attempting to get "back to normal" around here-- whatever that means anymore-- and I really don't feel like too much deep thinking right now so we'll just leave that sentiment where it stands!


Slow stitching is always such a comfort to me. I have been working along my old cross stitch kits from 20+ years ago recently. There is the illusion that things were better then. While I'm sure those times also had their hardships, I just enjoy seeing my old things, like old friends, that have been with me all this time.


So this is where my "Snow Circle" from Sudberry House designs stood when I threw it into a drawer for the last time so long ago! Actually, it wasn't in a drawer the whole time-- it followed me through two cross country moves and spent at least two years in a box-- LOL.

I pulled it out a couple of months ago for my morning hand stitching time-- and here it is as of now:


I was going to put it away again, but it's moving along quickly, so I might just persevere until it's finished. You can see in the first photo, it gets inserted in a black tray. I didn't buy that tray at the time-- I wasn't in a financial position to do that, being home with two young kids. But I was delighted to find Sudberry House still makes the trays, so I might treat myself now that I'm sure this will be finished! They tray has glass over it-- so the design is protected. Why you would put anything IN a tray over this beautiful work-- that I don't really understand!

Speaking of treating myself, I've been on a total fabric buying binge lately. An absolute addiction. Thank God, I have started buying charm packs instead of fat quarters, or my studio would have exploded by now.

Here are two new collections from Moda I just had to have. One is Brenda Riddle's and one is 3 Sisters'. Lately, my taste has moved a bit to the ornamental-- I don't know why-- it's a style that certainly does not lend itself to embroidering over it!


You can make two or even three quilts out of a set of 40 fat quarters, but to make a decent table runner or throw out of charm packs, buy two.


If you don't have a pattern in mind, I'd also buy a yard of a background print like one of these. I'd probaby go with the white one, but if you feel more adventurous, there's plenty of choice in most of these collections.


Then, for a nice backing, get a yard of what I call the "signature print" of the collection-- it is the large scale print they all seem to have. These prints are not meant for a 5" square-- see how the poor bird's head is cut off! 


The "signature print" usually has a choice of three of four colors and if you don't want to condemn it to the back, they make a stunning outer border for your project, too.



So that's my formula for irrestible fabric collections-- two charm packs and two yards of fabric will get you a nice throw for $40, instead of $125 the set of fat quarters is costing these days.

But wait! There's more...

The excuse I bought these charm packs to begin with-- I noticed that one of them might have a beautiful print to finish the Cottages of the Month quilt!


I used the Fairy Frost fabric in the color "Baby" for my blocks-- then I picked Robert Kaufman Quilter's Linen in "Mist" for my sashing. That is the middle print above with the cross hatching pattern in it. The sashings are going to have cross stitch embroidery on them and this is what I have so far:


Then I saw this print in the "Dover" fabrics and now that I see it in person, I think it is just PERFECT for the final border. A bit subtle, but I really want the cottages to be the focus and it will show up some really pretty quilting very well, don't you think?


I can't wait to work on this, but today's job is Stitches of the Sea-- October is a Nautilus and if you know what that is, you are better than 75% of my family. He's a bit scary looking, and I hesitated, but I think I will be able to pull it off! Thread makes everything beautiful.

He lives in the deep water, drifting up and down in the columns of hot and cold water. That doesn't bring to mind any ideas for the background, but I imagine that there's not too much to worry about down there!


So these are all my little happy things I'm thinking of today-- no deep thoughts for me. I hope you have enjoyed reading about them, and will now pull out a thing or two to make your own joy today.

xox

Carol



1 comment:

  1. Looking forward to all the new things you have on the drawing board. And LOVE your hand counted cross stitch....One of the things I liked so much with the handwork is it is comforting, but, I sure do like your machine counted cross stitch so very, very much. For whatever reason (age?!?!?) I seem to want gratification quicker these days.

    ReplyDelete