Monday, October 26, 2020

Stitches of the Sea.... ten down!

 So Mr. Nautilus was on my original list of sea creatures for the Stitches of the Sea Block of the Month (affectionately known as "Seafood of the Month" here in the studio) I first jotted down in January. 



Now that push has come to shove and the list is getting shorter, I hesitated because apart from the beautiful shell, he's kind of a homely looking guy and maybe even a bit scary...

This is what was in my mind...


But part of the joy of doing these is looking and learning about these wonderful things. The Nautilus lives in the tropical waters of Southeast Asia and Australia-- mostly in the columns of deep water almost a half a mile deep-- 2600 feet. For perspective, our most advanced nuclear sub only goes 800 feet down. He uses gas inside his chambers to move up and down-- at night, you might find him riding up the side of a coral reef to graze. Okay, yes, I have to admit he's a carnivore, but he tops out at 8 inches, so our diver above is safe!

Now look at this cutest ever baby nautilus picture-- he's getting hand fed in an aquarium!


 Don't you just want to hug it?

So that's my sales pitch-- the sets are now on the website, both quilted with a beautiful coral reel and also as a single design.
I have to admit it's a relief to have ten of these designs done--
they are the most artistic and complicated of my sets. I'm really happy with how they are progressing.




Take another look at my list up top and weigh in with a comment if you have an opinion on what the last two should be. I have to be honest and say the finishing kit won't be out until next year-- but I remember how long the Cloud Club finishing kit took-- and honestly, that one design is probably my master work of all time. I know you will be patient with me. xoxo



Yesterday, I picked up my award-winning coffee quilt from the art gallery-- it was a thrill to see it hanging with all of the beautiful watercolors and oils. Everyone there was so kind with their compliments-- I'm not sure they know the quilting world exists.




I told them how much the blue ribbon meant to me and how I appreciated that they opted to go on with the yearly show in spite of the difficulty-- how all of the quilt shows are cancelled for 2021 and MQX is no more.



It just keeps making me sad-- while on the one hand I am grateful that my creativity has not been crushed as others' spirits have been, when will we ever get to show and to see all these wonderful things made behind our closed doors?

xox
Carol




16 comments:

  1. Looks GREAT!!! I would vote for starfish and stingray!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love everything about Stiches of the Sea.. would you consider a NARWAL?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd really like to see a lobster and maybe an octopus!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. In thinking about the last two for Stitches of the Sea, I was thinking of colors and variety so my vote is for an octopus and a starfish. There many colorful species of them that are extraordinary and they would add to this series. Thank you for the exquisite work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your "Dot Almighty" quilt is absolutely gorgeous. Do you have the pattern & designs for sale?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for that! When making it, it was digitize, hoop, digitize, hoop, digitize hoop about 200 times and I unfortunately didn't keep a record of what I was doing! On the plus side, there's a mug rug that looks just like it that will save you weeks of effort-- LOL. xoxCarol
      https://www.sanfranciscostitchco.com/CoffeeArt.html

      Delete
  6. Hard decision! I can't pick just two. I love the stingray, octopus and starfish. Want to go for more? ha ha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has crosssed my mind to just work on tropical fish next year! xox

      Delete
  7. Starfish and octopus would be my choices.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your prize is well deserved! So beautiful!
    I vote for the prawn (delicious and colorful) and the most playful of creatures - the otter. (I want to be reincarnated as an otter - they know the best side of life!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your prize is well deserved! So beautiful!
    I vote for the prawn (delicious and colorful) and the most playful of creatures - the otter. (I want to be reincarnated as an otter - they know the best side of life!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Starfish and stingray. Or shark. Whatever you settle on will no doubt be wonderful. Looking forward to The Reveal.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stingray, octopus, or starfish. I have really enjoyed this series!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like the idea of a starfish and a lobster. I’m with you about how sad this year’s shows all being cancelled, and I can’t tell you how sorry I am for J-L and Mary to close MQX. It was the best run show I’ve attended.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations Carol, your quilt is so beautiful. I think I would like to see a stingray or manta ray and a starfish to round things out and can't wait to see what finishing set you come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations Carol on your blue ribbon!! I think an Octopus & Starfish would be fine as there are many different species of both that are very colorful so I can make mine any color combination I want.

    ReplyDelete