Monday, December 19, 2022

7 Days to Go!

Here we are-- Christmas is just a week away!
Things are very hectic here, and always, always a bit behind-- but  just to emphasize the severity of the situation this year, even my advent calendar is behind!


I'm hoping to catch it up tonight. 
(As you can see by the cutting mat, I hide it in my sewing studio.)



     Before we discuss all the projects that aren't coming along, a word of thanks... Our December Deals sales this year have been off the charts-- thank you, thank you all, sew very much! xoxo This is a small family business, and the move this year really affected the number of new sets we were able to produce... you all swooped in and saved our year, literally. Extra thanks for those who took the time to "Follow" this blog-- now that I have over 500 followers, it certainly increases my "social capital" when the time comes to write a book, or design that fabric line. Honestly, I really cannot thank you enough!

So the Winter Twist Finishing Kit will be definitely be free this year and I'm really excited to see how this project develops... some of you commented that this will be your winter project-- again-- food for the creative soul-- it means so much to me to know we will spend the winter together. xox



      I'm still hoping to get Block 2 out this week-- the snowy owl--what a beautiful bird-- did you know it is among the largest of owls? They are a bit terrifying, actually! It's sew fun to do a bit of research for embroidery.

     So here's everything that has not happened this past week-- it's really been two weeks since my last "chatty" post. No progress on A Ribbon Runs Through It, not a stitch. Or Let's Pop Some Corn. I'm hoping to take a couple of entire days next week just to completely assemble both of them. Working little by little has its benefits, but there's a lot to be said for BIG. CHUNKS. OF. TIME. The week between Christmas and New Year's is my favorite week of the year... all the stress of the business and wrapping and food and décor is over, but the cheer remains! Do you have plans for the week after?

Here's another reason less got done-- Mr. SFO had his company Christmas party in Boston-- we got to spend two glorious nights in the city. It was nice to get out of the boonies for a little while. I had two afternoons to myself, and just wandered around.


This is the Seaport area--
big city waterfronts are such a favorite of mine.


This is the Boston Public Garden-- the famous little boat ride goes through this pond. It was very "fallish" looking for December-- in terms of the trees? Raking leaves is a Thanksgiving activity-- not Christmas!


Only in New England-- a lobster carousel. I've always wanted to ride a LOBSTAH! Haven't you? Had to do a selfie for that one.


This is Frog Pond, the famous ice rink. It really wasn't cold enough for it-- they must have some sort of cooling system. Anyway-- this is kind of special-- my DD, the artist in residence, was a figure skater, and we would always go to the Christmas shows here. We always laugh-- because just about every Hallmark movie has a skating rink scene-- did you notice?


And of course, Faneuil Hall-- this is a famous shopping area which seems to have stood the test of time. Back in the day in early Boston, you would go here to buy your food-- butcher, fish monger, baker. Then it was renovated years ago, in the late 1970s.  Back then, Steve's Ice Cream was across the hall from Carol Ann's Bake Shop-- (yes, this is Mr. SFO and my names :-). Then Steve's Ice Cream went under and left Carol Ann all alone for years... I was devastated to see Carol Ann's Bake Shop was out of business now, too. It took me quite a few seconds to get over that, until I found the "Boston Bakery" and bought a blondie.


At night, the decorations really came to life!

So there's a little tour of Boston for you--I was so proud of myself-- I refused to bring a handwork project with me! I am enjoying this Lori Holt applique quilt so much, there was danger I would have spent the entire time in the hotel room, sewing!


    So this did get some attention when we returned-- I finished this block, and I already have my second one pinned up. I'm going in the order that I like them-- I've made the decision to change up some of the colors in the blocks that seem less colorful to me. "You are the boss of your own quilt." That's what Lori says. Good advice. Parallel theory-- "You are the boss of your own life." A discussion for another time.

So that's the update on everything that hasn't happened in two weeks. It is now Monday morning, the last week before Christmas. Time to put on our capes! Wishing you a wonderful week of less stress, more peace.



xox
Carol




3 comments:

  1. I'm so glad to see your blog! I've been a customer for years, but didn't realize you wrote a blog. I, too, am a huge fan of Lori Holt and her applique and pieced quilts. The pictures from Boston were fun. Merry Christmas to you and the staff at San Francisco Stitch Company.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You, too, Linda-- so glad we can be "blog" friends now! xox

      Delete
  2. Love your blog! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete