Sunday, December 4, 2022

Things are getting serious around here!

      The Ribbon Runs Through It quilt is edging closer and closer to a finish! I remember how disgusted I was with myself when I finally succumbed to signing up. So many pieces made of fabric I didn't really like and colors that aren't my favorites. But there it was, hanging in a quilt shop, jeering, "Bet you can't make me!"

      I am so glad I did-- it is an eye popper, and proves that leaving your own box can be a satisfying experience.

       I have all the pieces made, but sewing together long rows and then stitching long rows together is my least favorite part of quilting. At one point, I was sewing end to end repeatedly, until I realized I made a circle. Nice Christmas sashing, huh!

     I'm trying to think of it now as an extra large block of 136 pieces-- that's all it is, right? Except a little longer seam on each piece than a 12" block. So I got the sashing strips all together with help from kitty-- now it's time to get my 12" blocks out and sew those rows. I am determined to finish by Christmas. I think this is the first BOM I've ever finished in a calendar year-- if I can, so can you!


     No progress on the corn table runner this week-- I bought extra backing fabric on Etsy, and it came in a completely ridiculous fast time, but I'm in the Christmas spirit now! I'm also promising myself to finish it and the two pillows by the end of the year. The week between Christmas and New Year is one of my favorites, for sewing.

    I am LOVING hand stitching the Lori Holt Prairie Meadow block. I haven't done any applique in quite some time. Initially, I wasn't too fond of the Prairie background prints. I was skeptical. Let's just say it-- they reminded me of hospital johnnies! 


    Now that I see the thing put together, I'm over the moon with it. I stitched about halfway 'round this week in my initial enthusiasm. I'm hoping to get one of these done every three weeks which is realistic. Finished by the end of July? Let's see what happens!



     For the business, I'm edging closer and closer to my first hand cross stitch release. 



     In studying the way other people photograph their finished cross stitch, some of it just seems WAY over decorated to me-- the focus needs to be on the piece, for heaven's sake! Maybe I'm just jealous-- none of my Christmas craft stuff has appeared out of the boxes yet, so I'm extremely limited in the decorating I can do right now. My family keeps reminding me-- just go outside and grab a pine branch! We do live in the woods! And I do think the above piece needs it. 

     This is the Etsy shop--


     My DD designed it... she is really knocking things out of the park since she got home from the Appalachian Trail.  Totally inspired. Remind me to show you some of her mountain drawings-- all done in Adobe Illustrator.  And here is the cross stitch PDF--


     I'm really happy with it, just not sure what goes on the back page yet. I put the color key on the inside next to the chart where it should be-- do I repeat the colors on the back so you can see what colors you need? Copyright info? Social media links? That's all that's really standing between me and getting six of these uploaded. They are based on the Kris Kringle's Carols stitch-a-long we did a couple of years ago, but with less backstitch... a lot less backstitch! Hoping to have my first six up this week.

     Winter Twist-- well, speaking of free stitch-a-longs, I wanted it out last weekend! Thanks for your patience-- the dreaded SWIRLS need to be drawn. Oh, do you know how hard it is to draw nice swirls? Ready for Tuesday, maybe? I will be advertising this all over the place, and it will be free for a week, so there's no chance you'll miss it.



     Christmas Redwork-- this I'd like to have done this year-- six are almost there. Everything always takes longer than you think-- a lot longer! All twelve of my Christmas Album designs are being reduced to one color, made bigger, and then a stitching path has to be created to minimize jump stitches. This process is somewhat like a 10,000 piece puzzle, and has taken hours for each one. The results are well worth it-- they absolutely sparkle-- and NO color changes!


     So here I am, very happy with what I was able to finish last week, and looking forward to this week, making all the things. It's amazing what can be done if you just sit down to something, a little each day. I hope you have a great week, making all YOUR things.

xoxo

Carol

No comments:

Post a Comment