Monday, July 10, 2023

A Beautiful Week!

      I was planning on NOT having anything to report this past week-- but we just had a wonderful family & friend filled time, it seemed a shame not to record it. AND some sewing even got done, in the morning, at night, and even on one blistering hot day.

      Our son turned 30 and brought his "gang" up for the week. So, history has not yet recorded the chapter of whether or not I become a "real" grandmother, but I can firmly state I have kids in my life that I love so very much, and I am perfectly satisfied. Here we all are-- well, I'm taking the picture, enjoying the official birthday party.


     And the last party cake of this establishment's party season:
A cheesecake with 30 candles... it looks like the DS got a sunburn from them!



     The rain obligingly stopped and the week was filled with fishing, ATV riding, kayaking, screen doors slamming, fireworks, swimming, hiking, breakfast, lunch, and dinner, our first Maine Bean Dinner and more. Those are the only two pictures I got, the whole week!

     To add to the joy, we found this:



     My DD commented that the chickens are such pets now, we will be really surprised when we finally get an egg. And yes, we were!

     On the sewing side, I blew through my ninth hand appliqued Prairie Meadow block-- I had a chuckle when I realized this was technically #1 of the stitch-a-long. There's just eight circles to add.


     I have two completed flags from my Liberty Box. Fat Quarter Shop gives ample fabric for any of their kits and I've often thought you could probably make two! I decided to test this theory, and by just cutting more efficiently and adding seven navy rectangles, I did it. I got the extras by ordering backing fabric from the Sweetwater "Stateside" collection for both pieces, and just got a little extra. 

     


     My Sew Sampler box challenge this year is going great-- Jan, Feb, and Cupid are completely finished, March needs binding, but April, two pieces from May, and now two Liberty flags all need quilting. I was going to just straight line quilt the flags, but let's get real-- I just don't have time. So I'm getting a massive order out to my fabulous long arm quilter this week. 

     Then the Kitty Loves Candy Halloween kit came in-- these Poppie Cotton fabrics did not disappoint!


    I'd love to start this fun quilt right away, but I'm promising myself to finish the fabulous Basic Grey bats quilt I started like three years ago-- I have half of it done. The problem is, one is in the hand, and the other is in the bush-- (in a moving box somewhere.) Promises, promises!


    Basic Grey is well overdue for a Halloween collection-- thank goodness! I have four Halloween full size quilts in various stages and have no willpower right now.

     Then, just to do something different, I made a feed bag tote! In Maine, they are a super pain about bringing your shopping bags-- I believe it is state law that you have to pay for bags. And believe me, you will be looked upon as a naïve fool in the checkout line if you pay 3 extra cents for a bag. So then, because they are such nice people here, they do you a favor make them extremely heavy so as to save you 4 or 6 cents. I love this state!


     This way, I will be excited about my shopping bags and not forget them, and also I will be judged a total genius in the checkout line for my thriftiness and talent. Let's see what happens!

What happened to the Fourth of July bowl fillers?

Apparently, you were all out having the best week of your lives as well, so no one seemed to notice! They fell by the wayside as soon as I knew company was coming... but they were glorious!




    I definitely need to stop over-promising, and now you'll have to wait till next year... sorry! On the business side, it makes sense for me to stock up new Christmas sets for the rest of the summer.

   So that was my week-- I think my idea of the best week of the year has now permanently changed from Christmas through New Years to Fourth of July week. 

     It has been my life maxim-- clean the house AFTER the company leaves, not before! So the weather has obligingly turned back to rain this Monday morning, while I restore order and ponder my amazing family. I hope wherever your find yourself, you're living the life as well!




xox
Carol



5 comments:

  1. So glad you had some fun and relaxation and fun things to do with your family - they are so very, very important and it seems as if they are more important as time goes by.

    Everything looks GOOD and that birthday cake is awesome and the lobster (or is that "lobstah", LOL) and corn looks wonderful. Have a GREAT week. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. I looked and said to myself “
    East coast lobsters” the read your blog and yes - you are in Maine !! Nothing like family, lobster and a little sewing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Truth-- the West Coast only has the rock lobstah, but we never noticed when we lived there since we were enjoying Dungeness Crabs! xox

      Delete
  3. Fun times, it seems. Very happy for you and yours. (BTW my son turned 40 on the 10th July. Eeek!! Where did those years go?)

    ReplyDelete