Monday, July 17, 2023

Crashing and burning...

     I predicted this in January, but having a sense of omniscience is of no comfort now that I have arrived!

     I've been working less and less on more and more projects, until nothing is getting done on everything in my life! It's a crash and burn. My Sew Sampler boxes are all in various states of completion, except the desired "finished" state. I'm simultaneously working on Christmas and Summer designs for San Fran, once again proving the maxim, "you can't ride two horses with one A**."  Every part of Sugar Meadow is now under construction. And, did I mention, the DD is getting married in three weeks?

     Things are a bit teetery--but I'm happy and I still haven't missed a weekly blog post!

     I do have some baby steps to show, a sneak Christmas peek, and even a little sewing tip this week. 

     The Lori Holt block nine is done except for one circle. A metaphor of some kind? I think so. Let's hope I remember to stitch it on before this thing is quilted and bound.

    I still have five Sew Sampler flimsies to be quilted-- just can't find a minute to go to the post office and ship them out. Backings take time to get sewn together, as it turns out-- have you noticed?

   I'm about one week away from getting another subscription box in the mail, and precious little has gotten done on the last one. I decided to go with the Mod Flower Box pattern by Robin Pickens-- thanks for your input! I haven't sewn curves in a long time, so it seemed like something new and I'm almost there on the leaves. These are BIG leaves-- 9" blocks. Once again, I find myself dimensionally challenged-- this looked like a nice size wall quilt in the picture, maybe 30" x 30"-- but now I realize it's more like a 50" x 50" throw size.

     The curves are going well-- I'd love to be making videos of some of these techniques-- not as an expert-- but more of a "Sewing with Dummies" type of series-- more of a comedy-- LOL. Until the sewing room construction moves along, my YouTube channel is just a dream.

    If you make four of these "wall" size pieces, you have a quilt-- that has to be one HUGE quilt! I do have some nice wall space in this house, and it will certainly be an impactful piece. The DD has mentioned how well it would go in the cabin-- LOL-- she's obsessed with SAGE lately.
     The pattern has the different fabrics scrambled together like the one on the left above, but I think I like this plain arrangement better:

    I should let you think I'm a genius for know exactly what HSTs and curved blocks to make to get this to work out-- but it just happened! :-)

    Gonna press on, and not open the July box until it's done. Next up, is a HUGE boxy flower I'm using the pinks I was given. We'll see if I can snail that along this week.

     Here is the start of the August bowl fillers. I love August. It's summer. It's my birthday. I'm adding a picnic basket to the set this time. It's going to be great.


     I did simultaneously work up this cute Christmas fiber art piece. So I'm still calling these things "mug rugs," but I realized it's to the point I would not use this under a staining liquid or solid of any kind. "Tree Farm Mini Quilt"? "Zen Tree Farm"? or just "Tree Farm"? What is its name? "Christmas Decor"?


    Whatever it is, it isn't releasing until much later in the year, but here's a little tip--

   My mind has been very busy right now-- too busy to add a large enough backing to this-- haha-- as I sadly found out after trimming and flipping it over.


     Instead of the usual 2-1/2" binding strip, I cut a super wide 3-1/2" one. Everything else I did the normal way. The front of the piece had the usual 1/4" strip showing, but when I flipped the binding strip to the back, the extra covered up the mistake perfectly.


    So if you ever have a little missing backing on the corner of a tablerunner or even a large quilt, it stands to reason that you could cut a binding strip of any size-- even a huge one, and it would turn around to the back and cover up quite a bit. So proud I saved it!
     

   So that's it-- that's been my busy world. The next three or four weeks promise to get progressively crazier. Stay tuned-- it should be fun to watch! I'm dreaming of September, with lots and lots of time in the sewing room.

xox
Carol



7 comments:

  1. Christmas Zen Tree Farm??? I LOVE the trees, trucks with trees, snowflakes - it's AWESOME and kudos on the save!!

    To be as busy as you are with EVERYTHING, you've still managed to accomplish quite a bit. I remember when my daughter got married, I "think" I was running on fumes (or maybe auto pilot??) - trying to do all the "stuff", trying to remember what I might be forgetting, forgetting where things had been put (same as today, but more important then because the wedding was rapidly approaching!!).

    Wishing everyone all the best with everything and Happy Early Birthday!! XOXO Dottie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Getting pretty stressed, Dottie-- thanks for your words of encouragement. xoxo

      Delete
  2. Any progress is still progress so things look good from where I sit. Congratulations on your daughter's upcoming wedding! When my kids married I was more mentally stressed than physically. Big transitions do that to me, it takes a bit to calm my mind and my quilting/sewing shows my scattered brain during those times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are definitely soulmates, my Dogwood Lane friend! I am mentally stressed and change is always SO HARD.

      Delete
  3. Yes, Christmas Zen Tree Farm wall hanging! Love it! Happy early Birthday , and Mother of the Bride!

    ReplyDelete
  4. DD getting married is probably a *little* more important than sewing :-) I love the preview of the August bowl fillers and the Zen tree farm :-) The background quilting on the trees looks like a swirly snow storm, which sounds quite delightful compared to our 100+ degree Texas weather, lol. Give yourself some grace - you will get things done in due time. And many congratulations (or is it supposed to be best wishes?) to the happy couple!

    ReplyDelete