Monday, July 22, 2024

Treasures from the Attic

      It's been an action-packed summer-- but on the plus side, we're still in July so it doesn't seem to be flying away. There's been a ton of unpacking and sorting into my new studio, and I promised I would open some of the boxes with you. So here's a big reveal of just one day!

     These are my special fancy Michael's boxes, not the plain brown Home Depot boxes that I have so many of left to unpack. Since the fancy boxes also have the advantage of being light, they were among the first I brought down the rickety fold-up ladder stairs to my attic.


    Only one was labelled, but I have more good news! I did remember all of these projects I unearthed, so my memory is still holding up. One day, I imagine I will take them out and not remember when or how I did any of it. That happened to me with a sweater I knitted once!

     First up, Fig Tree Pears is a finish. Those little squares are 1/2" finished, but I did an ace's job of assembling this. Such a pretty pattern and fabrics-- the fabric was "Chantilly." I made this for a friend who lived on Pear Street. They have long since moved, so I feel it's appropriate to now keep it! I even have the background fabric purchase from the same line; I think I was just too afraid to longarm it initially. Now I'm older and wiser and more ballsy-- I'm not afraid to ruin anything on my beautiful longarm. So expect a finish soon.


   Next up-- the Dessert Quilt! Moda came out with this four or five years ago. I have a friend who is making it with 30s fabric-- perfect-- but I purchased the kit that had "color cuts," made of a mix of different designer fabric. I thought Color Cuts were going to be a new offering from Moda, but it didn't last. I made one block and then put it away for five years. This is high on my list to get done now. They had me at "dessert."



     This is more random. I became a big fan of Carrie Nelson's "Schnibbles" patterns a few years back and purchased some on Etsy-- I believe they are out of print. They are designed for charm packs and this was one of my favorites. So there were no charm packs included in this box, just the white background.  I'm not sure what the plan was, but this would look good in anything, don't you agree? Since I live in the boonies now, the State Fair theme is precious to me-- look for a State Fair themed design in August, hint, hint! In August, people always send me pictures of their San Francisco Stitch Co. project that have won prizes across the U.S. Trust me when I say-- this is even better than winning a prize myself. xox


          Carrie Nelson of "Miss Rosie's Quilt Co." has since vanished which makes me incredibly sad. Does anyone know where she is? COME BACK!

   Then I had a box of cross stitch projects from the 1990s. Do you remember any of these? I used to shop from Herrschner's and also a catalog that came in called "The Stitchery." There was not a tenth of the selection you have today. I checked and both of these companies are now online. They are just like old friends. In terms of actually making these projects, it's not likely to happen any time soon-- that "Spring" kit in the lower right corner is a year commitment!



     Here's  some dregs from the bottom of that cross stitch box. I designed and stitched that lady based on a cameo that's in my family. I think it was my grandma's, but it very much reminds me of my mom. I think I should frame it. I also got sidetracked into beads at this point in my life. I foolishly gave away all my beads at one point. (Sigh.)


  

   This is first on my list in terms of wanting to finish! It's the Lori Holt Farm Girl book. This was a stitch-a-long with the Fat Quarter Shop in 2015. They had "Farm Girl Fridays," and you were supposed to make two blocks a week. I'm a Lori Holt fan, but what really makes this precious is that my daughter made half of the blocks with me. It was a pivotal time for our family, too-- we finished up home schooling, and she went on for a year at a community college, just to see if her school skills were up to par. (She rocked it.) A year later, she was off to the big city, New York, with a ton of college credits already earned at a much cheaper rate! (She also rocked that.) This was high on my list to secretly finish for her wedding, but I couldn't put my hands on it, so we went with Laundry Basket's "Alaska" quilt instead. Wouldn't take much to finish it now, and I'd love to add some special family blocks like ice skates and our two kitties.


          This is an old Sew Sampler Box subscription-- "Bubblegum Kisses." I even bought the finishing kit. The next month that I get something I'm not as fond of, I'm going to make this instead.



        And it's Mr. SFO's Boy Scout quilt! As I have often stated, Mr. SFO is and Eagle Scout and very proud and fond of that part of his life. He even keeps in touch with his former scout master who is now 90 and living in Arizona. Once, we had an older neighbor who also made "Eagle,"-- it's a big deal, and he had all of his badges and patches beautifully framed in the living room. This really caught Mr. SFO's eye--I decided to make him a quilt instead-- maybe I would secure the patches and badges to it. I even embroidered in large type the Scout Pledge-- it's fabulous. This is also a highly personal quilt and it was a complete surprise I was planning for hime until he walked upstairs while I was taking this picture. LOL.



     Do you remember when Boy and Girl Scout fabric was out a few years ago? That's when I got my start.


      Then it's my Lovely Letters quilt! We had a free stitch-a-long with this awhile back. They are now for sale on the website. After completing them, I sewed them all into a wall piece.


     Unfortunately, I raised the bar on myself again, and started creating little borders-- it was about 40 or more that needed to be done. I planned to do one every other day. I figured out it would only take a couple of months. So that is now 72 months ago. I look at all these things, still believing I can finish them. xox


    Here's few odds and ends I found along the way. I can't wait to hang up my old friend, the sewing machine clock! Wait? Why's a pair of needle nose pliers on the face? I don't remember that...


     Oh! That's where my needle nose pliers went! Haha! There was nothing organized about this move, when push came as it did, to shove that summer.


      And this:


    Which I turned into this!


    As I am unpacking, I am also sorting and organizing-- it's something I would never have done to this degree if I had stayed in place. If you have to move-- this is one of the benefits.

  I'm also adding everything I unpack to my master list of projects. It is growing considerably, and I am only about a quarter of the way through the attic treasures. A lot of what's left up there may be books, I hope.


         If I calculate one month per small project and three months for every large quilt, this represents eight years of my life! The good news is-- I'm planning on living at least 20 more years! Knock on wood. But it's kind of motivating to think about how many of these honestly deserve that time. I highlighted a few in blue that I want to work on NOW. I may end up selling off some that don't hold my interest anymore. The importance of NOT ADDING TO THAT LIST is really upfront and center. I posted the list in front of my beautiful new closet, now fuller than I can believe, as a reminder of how much I already have.



     So this summer has been one of the happiest times of my life! The lack of readership on the blog this summer is proof-- haha-- clickbait headings like I'M NEVER SEWING AGAIN, or I JUST BROKE MY HAND always get the most views. When you think about it, internet friends are the opposite of real world friends-- always there for you in the bad times, but they leave you when the sun is shining. A special thank you to all my readers who are here beside me when all is right with the world!

There's still sew much happiness to share this summer-- farm life, our "Kingfield Days" festivities, the Maine Quilt Show at the end of this week, and I have a road trip all the way from Florida to Maine coming up in August. The summer fun has just begun-- stay tuned!

xox
Carol

7 comments:

  1. Awesome journey. I love that you have so many things on your "to do list" and not just from yesterday but years ago. I am determined this summer to finish a quilt I put away 12 years ago that I loved !!! but life got in the way. I dragged it out in June and told myself this is the summer for it!! even if you can't free motion or do machine applique very well - DONE is better then perfect to me - and I am almost done . Enjoy your new place and most of all your summer and the things you love. Keep inspiring us - thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love seeing all the progress you've made! As the old commercial used to say "you've come a long way baby". FWIW I have some of those needlework kits from long ago. I really should pull them out and either work on them, find someone that would want them or donate them to a Salvation Army store. XOXO Dottie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your to-do list is so organized, lol - I just have random boxes and bags of started projects. A couple (few?) years ago you kindly provided some project worksheets for us to get organized. I started but got disgusted with how many I have, lol. I *did* finally finish my A Ribbon Runs Through It flimsy (it's been waiting for borders for a year or so). Now I need to find a long armer that I can afford and that will do it justice :-) I have 2 other finished flimsies (American Glory BOM and Double Slice free pattern, both from MSQC) that I plan to do edge-to-edge on for quilting. I do love your pretty project boxes, and such gorgeous projects tucked away in them (I may have swooned over the pears, lol). I love summer, and do spend a lot of time outside, so some sewing time gets pushed aside. Fortunately (my paying) work has been pretty light this summer, so I can sew or embroider while monitoring my work email. Safe travels in August, and I hope your summer keeps going so well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely, lovely projects, and lovely that those older treasures still bring joy to your heart. The lovely theme, the Lovely Letters stitch-along is one that I don't recall (but quite likely I wisely decided not to join because typically, I would not have seen it through to the end). My resolution to complete a UFO every two months this year has fallen by the wayside with the May/June quilt still wanting its binding and the July/August one not even brought out of the cupboard yet. Seeing your stash of UFOs has given me heart, though. You just have to keep the faith that each project's time will come. Had a laugh at Mr SFO spoiling the surprise - exactly the sort of thing my late husband was very good at, always appearing at the wrong time! I didn't have to read the (beautifully embroidered) Scout motto - still remember it after 60 years! Once a Scout or Guide, always a Scout or Guide.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I so enjoy reading your blog - although I rarely comment! I have been working on organizing my UFOs and projects where I have collected the pattern and fabric but never started. I have been afraid to actually make a list as I think it will be so long I'll need to live at least to 100! I too have wondered what happened to Carrie Nelson (Miss Rosie), I love her patterns (I have quite a collection of books and patterns). I was so lucky to take several classes from her over the years through LQS Quilters Station and Prairie Point and at the Kansas City Regional Quilt Festival. She was such an inspiration when she worked for Moda and she is missed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So much time you put into this blog and photos! Thanks for taking the time to inspire us and know that even the professionals have the same conundrum as we who have UFO's stashed away for "whenever".

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had to laugh, your list of ongoing and future projects is even scarier than mine. Now I don't feel so bad!

    ReplyDelete