Friday, February 21, 2020

Unfinished Business...

Occasionally, we still see finishes of our "Language of Flowers" series (from 2017) pop-up on the web-- 
Just take a look at this eye candy from Laura G in Florida!


Laura made the all-in-the-hoop version, and her neutral background really shows off the whites in a way our white version doesn't. We LOVE the way the lilies and white roses look, don't you?

I just hate to admit that my own piece is still unfinished...
the tendency is always to keep creating new things!
 Here is "Beacoup de Bouquets" (it even has a name) from a photo dated June 2018...


and yes, it still pretty much looks like this.

Here's a personality trait that some of you will recognize--
all I had to do was bind this-- but somehow, as I always do, I kept raising the bar as I went along, wanting MORE...

Yes, some fabulous border treatment--



a lattice--


a fully machine embroidered edging treatment!


Once imagined, there is no going back to a simple binding.
Face it, the easy road is just not one I ever take. If I'm not feeling anxiety while designing, I'm not doing it right!


So here it is... on the bucket list of my life, I would sure like to finish this and not leave it as a heap of scraps for posterity.



2020 is going to be the year of "Beaucoup de Bouquets"!

To that end, I am trying to block out entire days I can spend to finish this beautiful piece...  I have broken it down into
 four easy (ha!) steps to completing it.

First up, the sashings on the main piece are saggy and all need quilting. This I actually have a start on.


Second-- we need a fabulous border embroidery.  
This is already digitized, (I've done SOMETHING over the last year and a half) but still needs testing.


The piece will end up at about 55," so these are the L-O-N-G-E-S-T embroideries I've ever done-- three 11" hoopings each.

And I need four of them...


They feature a weed I used to try to get rid of in my garden-- 
until I realized how pretty it is. I call it
"Sweet Pea Vine"-- but it isn't. It's vetch or something. lol


Also featuring another of my favorite wild beauties-- 
the beach rose.



The third piece is the lattice-- I practiced this last year on my Cherry Zen piece. I am just itching to do it again on this one... in white, of course!

Last, the fantastically embroidered edging treatment is digitized and tested...


I just need 28 of them! LOL.

Put it all together, and what do you get?

This...



Or if you have Photoshop skills, this...


So that's the plan-- 
I confess I am having deja vu as I write this, so it's not the first time I've committed to finishing...

Let's see what happens!

I certainly hope, as Laura inspired me, you will pull out some long loved project and make some progess today. Together--

WE GOT THIS!

xox 
Carol

8 comments:

  1. Oh my,this will be absolutely stunning! Can't wait to see it when done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This quilt will be gorgeous when finished. I think of all the beautiful things I could make in my head, but when it comes to embroidering it is hard. I wish I could. Its is easier for you to design them for us. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your unfinished "Flowers" project is gorgeous! I'm in love with the border ideas with the embroidery and the surpentine-like edges ....ummm...are you giving a challenge? Eleven hoopings!!! Well, it looks well worth it. Just keep the coffee pot on...lol!
    Love your work, always have, always will! Love you comments on mine. Thank you for appreciating our endeavors with your designs. You make us all look great out here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just found your blog tonight. Can I just say - Oh My Goodness!!! Your work is just amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful. Have all the blocks. Just need to do them. You are inspiring me to get busy. I have been rearranging my sewing area, throwing out, etc and organizing. Maybe I can finally get to it. Anxiously awaiting the borders. Thanks for all your hard work.

    ReplyDelete