Sunday, March 1, 2020

Forward, ever forward...

Last week was hugely productive and we have at least three new releases coming up this week... are you ready?

First up, we thought we'd get a head start on the March Cottage of the Month-- these are beyond fun to do. I mentioned Mr. SFO is an architect, but I must have a bit of frustrated realtor DNA as well.

We went from this,


to this, in record time,



and the quilt block is stitching out now.


The quilt block takes extra time, obviously, because it's a square and there are spaces to fill in above and below the house. I wonder how many different fence designs we'll be able to come up with this year!

I have been posting pictures of machine embroidered cross stitch on Instagram just to share what we are doing with our hand cross stitching counterparts. Cross stitching is in a period of revival, and if you haven't, check out the hashtag #crossstitchersofinstagram and feast your eyes on all the new designers and styles. It's incredible!


In the past year, I have been thinking about what separates machine from hand cross stitch and how can we focus on and excel at what machine embroidery can do best.

We're never going to have a "hand" look-- it's too perfect, hee hee!

But the thing digitizing offers is the level of scrumptious detail.
I noticed the new "handwork" designers avoid backstitching-- I feel that is what really enriches the look and when you don't have to hand stitch it, there's no limit to how much you might add. We're now so overboard on the details that I don't think anyone could handstitch this anymore. Just look at that little shamrock next to a dime-- all backstitched, in seconds! So I hope we've kind of started a new embroidery style-- something that is being created for the first time.


I am going to make a "book" out of my cottage postcards at the end of the year-- yes! we can do this together... as I have already been fantasizing about making some kind of cute cover for this book. In a moment of weakness, I mailed my LOVE cottage to someone who needed a little love... I'm hoping I don't make the same mistake with my Blessings Cottage because it is just that cute! The plan is to take it to get stamped at the post office on St. Patrick's Day. Hoping to have the sets out midweek.



And here's #18 Cloud Club! It's the Cedar Waxwings...
we really went out on a "limb" with the color choices-- and it paid off. Here is the first test and we're ecstatic-- still needs some work on the blending, but the background is now in.

Hoping to have this by the end of the week-- this is the last "official" bird for the quilt-- so it's getting extra love. No doubt we'll do more birds at some point,  but this wraps up our "Cloud Club" quilt. That being said, we're fantasizing about a Christmas edition of say, four birds?

Finally, we did the little girl welcome design-- well, if you have little boys in your life, that will also be out this week. There are little boy clothes on the line, the bunny has been swapped for a teddy, and the rocking horse for a train. This is a wonderful, quick baby gift, with limited colors, and you can personalize it by hand (or not.)

After these things are released, next up is Stitches of the Sea #3...
We're thinking... Koi Pond in Japan?

Lastly, I bought something that may change my life!!


Part of the reason my flower piece was consigned to a closet for two years is because when it came to embroidering the sashings, I could not HOOP this thing!! It has a layer of 80/20 batting, a layer of wool, two fabric layers, stabilizer... all of my hoops were just not big enough for the thickness and after much struggling, it would pop right out!

I tried growing two extra arms, luring the post lady in with promises of baked goods, and even renting an octopus.

So this is Eileen Roche from DIME's magnetic hoop...
it was wicked expensive, but within ten minutes of receiving it, I already had a little cornerstone stitched.

Looks like it's a green light-- don't run out to buy this yet, but I am going to spend a chunk of time testing it out this week-- I'll let you know. I even took the trouble to finally digitize a little sashing design.


For those of you who want to play along, all I can say is, I am writing down how I am doing this, and at some point, for the seriously touched in the head-- yes, there will be another finishing kit for the flower quilt.

Still there?

Thanks so much for caring about my little world-- 
comment below--
go forth, and have a productive week!!

xox
Carol

11 comments:

  1. I'm really interested in your results from your testing the magnetic hoop. I am interested but it is so expensive I want to make sure it will be worth the purchase price.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So exciting! Looking forward to hearing more about the magnetic hoop,

    ReplyDelete
  3. Am loving the house blocks! Your first draft of the March block was cute as I am partial to Victorian style houses. Hope to see some in the blocks to follow. Thanks! Also interested in the magnetic hoop. I had some issues with the first block haven't started the second yet....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Contact us at help@sanfranciscostitchco.com if you need help!

      Delete
  4. Wonderful blog post as usual, Carol. Lots of interesting things and lots of eye candy!!! Yummy!!! Interested in the magnetic hoop too however it is outrageously expensive for me at the moment. The Aus/US dollar exchange is awful, add postage and you have a very, very expensive hoop. When you do a review of the hoop, could you please also share which machine you are using it on? I think that would be relevant. Keep up the good work. Looking forward to completing the population of my Cloud Club aviary later in the week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it all! With the last Cloud II bird I can complete the expansion of the 50th anniversary bed runner. Gertie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I almost hate to ask, but "What Flower Quilt"? I have been following you for quite some time, collecting all the free designs and many of the series, but can't find a "Flower Quilt" in my collections.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OK... consider yourself WARNED! It is the 2017 Language of Flowers series... look at the post prior to this one-- or click the link IF YOU DARE! xox
    https://www.sanfranciscostitchco.com/SeriesFour.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. My first comment is lost, so if this shows up twice, it's because I'm persistent. My hand is UP and yes, I'm "seriously touched in the head", as you know. I love what you do, my birdies are coming along, and your work is awesome. Will be finishing the birdies soon, can I expect a single feather for the sashing, or do you have something else up your sleeve? xox

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I forgot to mention, I "think" I used the magnetic hoop on my version of your Baltimore Album. It's a great tool and you'll love it. At least, I hope your experience is as positive as mine has been.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have been wanting a magnetic hoop so now I must get one. I love your Blog & I'm excited for the new sashing design to come out. I have almost all the Flower Designs purchased but I'm about ready to start the blocks.


    ReplyDelete