Monday, March 16, 2020

The 600lb. Gorilla...



    Just last week I was so excited to get three new things out... and then as it did for all of us, priorities suddenly changed! There's no news flashes here and no brilliant ideas... I just thought I’d give you an update on what's happening in my world and invite you to share what's happening in yours. We're going to need the human contact! If you’re sick of hearing about COVID, this post isn’t for you. But I'm interspersing the post with unrelated, but beautiful photos of this and that, because that's what I usually do and normalcy is a friend right now.


     I understand that a lot of this is hysteria, and that most of us aren't going to die. That being said, #flattenthecurve makes total sense to me.... if we don’t slow the spread to keep this manageable for health care providers, it's going to turn into tragedy for many people.


     So....  I did all the things I need to do for those closest to me. Business has pretty much stopped. There was no need to run out and raid stores for TP and hand sanitizer because the wonderful Mr. SFO has always believed in stocking up. (Me, after one of his frequent BJs trips: You spent $40 on paper towels!!??


   My mom is 87 and, while in good health, is our biggest concern. She is moving this week into a gorgeous new condo which we have been looking forward to for weeks but now is a huge, ill-timed, inconvenience.  We have her on lockdown with plenty of bleach wipes and hand sanitizer.  


   I drove down to NY (from Boston) and back in one day to retrieve our daughter. Initially resistant, I think being stuck in a tiny apartment with three other people was less attractive in the end than coming here, even though that tiny apartment is now referred to as "home." In the manner of youth, she is most concerned with the social justice aspect of all of this which makes me want to hug her, even though we aren't supposed to for two weeks.



  Now that the most urgent things are in place, my thoughts have moved on to those not in my inner circle. While I completely agree with social distancing right now, this is gonna kill our already fragile brick 'n mortar quilt-y world. And all but one of my family can work from home. My heart goes out to those who now must stay home with kids and have no assurance of a paycheck. 



   Some of my close friends have asked me if I am poised to make money on this... everyone will be sitting home sewing right? Maybe people will "binge stitch" the entire Cloud Club series. But everyone is so distracted, and I’ve been so absent, business is a trickle. It seems to me so ridiculous and self-serving to send out an email trying to sell something right now— I am still getting plenty of these emails from my favorite retailers, most of whom do not mention the news, and they feel hollow and disconnected from reality.


    So what's the strategy? We can't all sit here and watch the death toll rise every day or worry because our throat feels scratchy. We're thinking "Pay it Forward." The design at the top of this post is free and we hope it gives you a smile. (Link below.) And we're going to start another four week free stitch-a-long in the near future to give us all something to mark the weeks by. Stitches of the Sea will be out this month-- a koi pond, and the Cottages of the Month will continue on. Other than that, I'm not sure what I have the heart for-- the thought occurred that by working on a stock of Christmas designs, I could project myself into the future, when all of this is over!


  Our very best to you-- we'd love to hear from you below-- share your story and know that we're all listening--that's all we have for now!

11 comments:

  1. Thanks "sew" much for the design. AND, for sharing your thoughts, beautiful stitchouts. Things are definitely different these days and, hopefully we can stay calm. Again, THANKS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the design. At the moment my 86 yr.old Mom and I are remaining calm, up in Canada. So, I share your concerns, but I guess all we can do is pray for the best, and hope it doesn't go on too long. We've been thinking of all the small businesses out there, and hoping they manage to be there when all is said and done. So rest assured that there are probably quite a few of us who are thinking of you, and will try our best to support you if we can. I have my final cloud club birds to get - your designs are beautiful. So stay safe and healthy, and we will do our best to do the same.
    xox

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have read the suggestion that now would be a good time to purchase gift cards from businesses and restaurants that you support They can be enjoyed when life returns to a more normal status, but it may mean the difference between your favorite LQS re-opening or not.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your design really brightened my day and CALM really is the word of the day!!! Our Sewing and Craft group has officially been shut down to meeting up in person this month at the Library, a gov. facility. Six of us were willing to risk it, still it's a NO! One enterprising young business that sells chicken pot pies at the Farmer's Mkt. is willing to deliver it to your door. Genius! Hoping more local restaurants will offer free delivery (as eating out is already $$ for me, deliv fees would end any hopes of helping that way).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am surprisingly calm. I was recently diagnosed with an autoimmune disease and I have Tyoe 1 diabetes so my doctor told me weeks to basically self quarantine! We stocked up on groceries (no hoarding and we didnt get toilet paper, lol) so are continuing, being more vigilant. I feel good and am thankful I have so much time for sewing! Amazing how much you can get done when you aren't out running around all day! Look forward to new Sea designs; planning a king size aquatic quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not a blogger, however I must comment to your tentative interest in future designs. I'm 70 years old and look eagerly for your designs alone. For those of us isolated please continue on with your wonderful designs for tomorrow. Loretta

    ReplyDelete
  7. When your Keep Calm design popped up it made me smile so thankyou for that. We are both in our early 70s and have never considered ourselves elderly so it's a shock to be in this at risk demographic. My Dr. office called and told us that both of us are particularly at risk because of recent health concerns but we had already decided to stay home and our various hobbies -stained glass for him and embroidery & quilting for me are keeping us out of trouble. Our children must still be out in the world and as I stitch I pray for them - every stitch a prayer as it has always been.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am calm, because my life is in the hands of the lord and I trust him to do his will the way he sees fit. I am so grateful for all the time he has let me be here, and relatively healthy, to see and be with my family and friends. I will be 79 this year and already surpassed many of the people I grew up with and have meat in my life so far. I love to sew and definitely love your designs, and thank you for the "Stitches of the Sea." I don't know how you come up with new things all the time and surpass the last set. I am grateful for that. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Carol, thank you for all you do & for the free design!! I have seen where sooooo many people are getting back into crafting, sewing, & quilting since they will be stuck at home. You might as well do something you love! This is a time that people are re-visiting their hobbies, learning new hobbies, spending more time with their family & I believe we will come out of this with more people interested in sewing, quilting, & embroidery which will be so good for businesses like yours. Many are teaching their daughters to sew, quilt, & do embroidery. It's possible for your business to boom during this time & even more so afterwards. Many prayers for your family!! Thank you for the free design!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the free design! A friend just forwarded your email to me, you are her favorite site. I just got a ntm embroidery machine and plan on lots of stitching in the future. We are similar to you, moving my 90 yo mom to our house for care giving. She was living with my sister who still has to go to work. It is for an abundance of caution. I am a quilter and used to solitary times, although I do hope to take advantage of the many kind offers of online yoga, visits to museums online and LOTS of online library books. We are retired and are concerned about our savings, we don't have a way to increase them at our age. But we are in a lot better shape than many so I am thankful. I am also keeping my open to perform random acts of kindness. Wondering if our local nursing home would like a bunch of fresh picked daffodils....Will continue to enjoy your blog posts, your tone was very soothing and appropriate. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. All is Wonderful. Thank you for the "keepcalmstitchon".
    Also about dime hop Mega or Monster Hoops. My way of using hoop sounds bad, no no, but I use sticky paper on bottom, cut emb-size hole, (8x10), than on Top of bottom frame I than add on top no sew mesh, batting and top fabric and pin to stabilizer. Than I add magnetic hoop on top of fabric and embroider. I do not leave. It has worked for me a lot. Thanks

    ReplyDelete