Tuesday, July 14, 2020

Greetings from my deserted island...

I'm proud to say that I powered through and finished a couple of things that were about to end up back in the closet!


First up, my Halloween quilt (that I am desperately trying not to think of as "The Covid Quilt") but I am naming it "The Gold Tooth." Can you see why? I always love adding a little humor to my work. This will be my first BIG quilt on the longarm and I can't wait. Black batting is on the way!



 Next up, my Fourth of July table runner! It was not ready, but no one came over, so it was not missed. :-(  I used a Schnibble pattern called Lincoln for the blocks, but I rearranged therm to look more like a flag. I am absolutely obsessed with this fabric right now-- it is Minick and Simpson's "Mackinac Island."


Doesn't this just remind you of summering in the Upper Peninsula at your grandmother's lake house? (No, I don't have that memory either, but it's lovely, isn't it?)

I ordered a yard of it for my backing fabric, and it took so long to come, that I forgot and then ordered two yards from the same place.


My obsession comes late-- the fabric line sold out weeks ago. But I did snag this wickedly expensive cheater cloth to practice on the longarm. It also is a real Block-of-the-Month-- I so wish I had signed up for it, but it's too late! Sometime you can pick things up on Ebay months later and I intend to keep an eye out.



This is just a crummy picture I pulled off the web to show you the Derby Street Quilt. Did you sign up? <3


So then, if you thought that navy roses fabric was gorgeous, here it is on cream. I definitely needed six yards of that for the backing of my cheater cloth. It's been a bit of an expensive month-- but we're still saving based on what we used to spend on eating out-- plus the savings on a therapist haven't even been calculated in... it definitely made me happy.

You'll see that I bought that fabric from an Etsy shop-- highly recommend switching to some of these smaller retailers right now-- I had it in three days-- no chance of forgetting what I ordered or what it was for this time.


And here it is! I finished my hand cross stitch stocking!
It is BEAUTIFUL! 23 years in the making.




Some of you asked if I will be digitizing a Christmas machine cross stitch stocking and, yes, I do have one in mind but it would take 3 or 4 hoopings to do it. It's a scene of Russian-looking town with horse and carriage and of course, snowflakes everywhere! Let's see what happens.


And finally, "Sew In Love." I skipped ahead to Month 7 to avoid making 8 more of Month 5 in different colors. It't a large folksy tulip, and my apologies to the designer, but it's a bit rough... all concocted with  weirdly shaped pattern pieces, Y seams, and curved piecing. I signed up for the applique version, so why would I prefer this method to hand sewing?


On the plus side, I really compliment Editya (we're on a first name basis now) with providing enough fabric and then some--- there is almost enough to make two quilts-- so I was able to just rework it to simple applique on 9-1/2" x 9-1/2" background fabric.


The large petals of the flowers also lend themselves perfectly to English Paper Piecing, so I have those all assembled. Even if you think you won't like a technique, it's worth learning something to have it in your toolbox if needed.


So those are coming along albeit slowly-- since I don't have a piecing project right now, I might simultaneously work on Month 9-- checkerboards-- which I love. There is no going back to working in order now--LOL.



So that is what I have been beavering along on in isolation--
I have really never had progress like this on craft projects before in my life.

Remember when asked what you would bring if you had to live on a deserted island? I am blessed to have everything I need.

If sewing ever fails me,
I will turn back to scrapbooking, or forward to book writing.
Zoom meetings with friends have just fallen by the wayside-- there is just nothing left to say and it will be months before I see them again. 
:-(

4 comments:

  1. LOVE the tablerunner - it's FABULOUS! And so happy you finished the x-stitch stocking. I "think" I have some partially finished projects "somewhere". Did find a bunch of Aida recently (stuff I bought 20+ years ago).

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are one busy Lady....you accomplish all of that and still have time to digitize designs.
    You work is always perfect........love the gold tooth..

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so talented and your projects are always so beautiful! Love them all. Especially the flag and the fabrics used; would absolutely love to see a cross-stitch Christmas stocking projec this year!! Keeping fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete