Sunday, September 6, 2020

Life is better at the lake...

I snuck away for a little birthday girl getaway at Lake Winnepesaukee last weekend. Did you miss me?


You might wonder why, when you live on a lake, you would visit a lake for vacation... yes, I kind of wondered about that, too.


The reservations were kind of last minutesy, but I got a couple of nights at a really beautiful resort in Meredith, NH, called the Inn at Mill Falls. Our room was in the building to the far right, (Location: 14), and as it turned out, all the action was at the building to the far left, (Location: ONE) but it was beautiful walk over there along a boardwalk-- you can see it in brown below. 





The grounds were just gorgeous-- you know how I love gardens!


 
This feature definitely got a lot of use! 


But, it was honestly just too beautiful outside to try this one.
I wonder if this is a popular place in the winter?


Our building had the advantage of being closer to the little town--
there were all sorts of shops, none of them chain stores, which is pretty unusual in this day and age. I wish I had taken more pictures of this, but I was too busy... shopping!


Our hotel was on "Meredith Bay,"-- it's just a tiny finger of the lake, so the second day, we decided to drive around part of the larger lake. The WHOLE drive is a long way... ninety miles, and believe me, you can't drive it at sixty miles an  hour, so we just took a little spin 45 minutes south and back.

They had "Scenic Overlooks" along the way-- but we should have known, when no one was parked at them, we were getting snookered! I know the trend is NOT to mow down trees in this day and age and I understand that, but the greenery was so tall and full, I had to stand on top of a rock on my tippy toes to get this picture!


When you look at a map of the coastline, I'm not sure a sweeping view across the lake exists anyway.



Honestly, nothing about the entire trip could have been disappointing-- with my beautiful sister and my daughter, we were just laughing the entire time!



For dinner both nights, we went to this restaurant with a camp theme-- it was decorated like a lodge. Again, I wish I would have taken more pictures of it, but I was too busy.... EATING!

 

The colorful jet skis had our names on them-- but alas, time ran out.


I hope you enjoyed the trip! I'm not a big traveler, but after being stuck at home, I can't say enough how I enjoyed this little road trip... maybe there are adventures beyond what the sewing room offers. So who knows, when this crisis is over, I might be boarding that big ol' jet airliner!


This was our last big night, at the Tiki bar on the bay-- 
definitely a happy ending...


 But also, another happy ending when we returned home-- my new Block of the Month has arrived!



Happy trails!

xox
Carol


3 comments:

  1. YES, you were missed!!! So glad you had such a GRAND birthday celebration - everything looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dottie-- next time, you will meet me in Las Vegas! =)

      Delete
  2. Hi Carol! I just got an e mail that let me now I have been missing out. I LOVE San Francisco Stitch Co designs. They are sew much fun. I wish I was your sister. I am a retired Navy wife, living in our landlocked home state of Oklahoma. I have been needing some beach time lately, then I started thinking how we do have lakes here. I need to start visiting them more. I love the water.
    Linda Bazemore

    ReplyDelete