Wednesday, September 30, 2020

Try to remember the kind of September...

 Just wanted to squeeze in one last post before we say goodbye to another month of this wretched year. For my birthday my dear son and his wonderful girlfriend gave me a 2021 calendar-- best gift of them all and I can't wait for it... it's already hanging!


It's been a bit of a rough month--some of this I need to just keep to myself, but some of it, I'm happy to whine about with you and a cup of tea. 

The embroidery muse went dark on me-- yes, it's time to do the Stitches of the Sea design I've been dreading all year. 


T H E  J E L L Y F I S H.




How to render this invisible-ish thing in thread? I have to confess-- this is what I would like to have done!


Kitty helpers are staying again this week-- they kept me smiling-- I guess that is the main part of their job, because not much else has been a help.


 The black cat likes to be sitting on my lap being petted at all times when it is not directly in front of my computer, but we were able to negotiate this intermediate position. I rummaged through the house to find the calico the perfectly sized box, who is now content with the floor, thank God. 


In between making cats happy, you can see on the screen I did get the main part of the design done-- still not happy with the colors though. Invisible thread, maybe?

Then it came time to digitize the quilting-- does anyone out there know how hard it is to draw nice waves?

First impulse-- 

AVOID by just making straight lines. 



Second attempt-- a little wavy...



Third attempt-- THE TEMPEST.



"The Tempest"... I was finally happy with and was no doubt inspired by what was going on outside last night-- 60mph winds and thunder. Unfortunately, after stitching it, we lost power. I happened to be in front of my computer when it happened-- and I watched as the Jellyfish design flickered, then got smaller and twisted into blackness. My life flashed before my eyes. (when was the last time I saved?...)


Apparently my last save was this: 


After all this year has spit out, I can honestly just laugh this off, as something that can easily be fixed in a few hours...

So today, it's back to waves...   Stitches of the Sea will not debut in September, but did you notice how I am cleverly calling this series "Block 6"... "Block 7".... "Block 8"....?

I like to end on a positive note-- so here's is something that did get finished in September-- it's a Sunflower table runner for my sister's birthday. I graphed the pattern out myself, and it's made from Coriander Quilts Pepper and Flax fabric-- a year or more old, but I loved that collection. All done on the longarm-- yes-- I think I am ready to load up "Sew in Love!"



Pulling on my big girl pants and soldiering on, doing what needs to be done (Or redone), ready for another month of 2020 -- hope you are as well.

xox

Carol









3 comments:

  1. Jellyfish looks GREAT!! And, so does your sunflower tablerunner!! It has been a bugger of year for sure - hoping 2021 will be a blessing to all of us. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carol, I love seeing and reading your posts, all your projects, your beautiful kitty helpers, works in progress, and finishes! All amazing and fantastic works of art! You are so very talented and very much appreciated for all your creativeness. Let's move forward and keep up the great talent and works!!!!

    ReplyDelete