Saturday, November 11, 2023

Down for the Count...

      What do you do when you are stressed and overwhelmed? Yup... how about get a bad cold! I honestly haven't had one in quite a while so I don't want to complain too much, but my current state includes a screaming sore throat, light fever, and very snivelly nose. I know everyone else is at the breaking point and beyond, so I'm soldiering along as best I can for all of us. I usually don't lie down to a cold, because it never really helps anyway!

     As I write it is November 11, Veterans Day. Major hostilities of World War I were formally ended at the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month of 1918 when the truce with Germany went into effect. Later, Armistice Day was turned into Veteran's Day to recognize all wars. Thank you to all of our servicemen and women, of course.


     In that spirit, I decided to liberate myself from the monotony of Sew Sampler boxes shortly and join the Cherrywood Challenge next year! You may have seen these displays of hundreds of 20x20 quilts at any of the large quilt shows. Past themes have been Monarch, Lady Diana, the Lion King... What's not to like about a competition in which the first step is to buy fabric! 


   The 2024 theme is the Poppy-- I already have an idea for it. My grandfather was shot and gassed in the trenches of WWI-- a bit of a tribute quilt is in mind. He kept a bullet and a tiny bottle of iodine he was given to treat his wound in his top dresser drawer. He never spoke about it, and I was too little to ask questions. Years later, I realized when he told the same story about "pass the du beurre" at every single dinner time in my young life, that was the only reference he ever made to his time in France. Anyway, I may or may not act upon it, or may or may not get accepted, but it's keeping my creative brain in gear and thinking of something other than my current state of misery. 

    Click either of the photos above to go the Challenge page-- I swiped the photos from Cherrywood. Maybe you want to join me or maybe you just need 8 fat quarters of beautiful hand dyed fabric-- now mum's the word and that's the last I have to say about that until the contest closes in May.

     So back to my Sew Sampler Snoozers! Am I sorry I challenged myself to make all the boxes this past year? Actually, not sorry-- if I learned a few things it was how to focus, complete repetitive tasks, and drag things across the finish line. I'm keeping my subscription until the Pressed Flowers BOM stops in about April-- then it is "Sayanora" to the lovely teal boxes-- I'm moving on to other things. 

     Until then, I have about thirteen projects mostly finished and three to go-- November, December, and the Jolly Box. November looks to be Tula Pink "Besties" fabric which I will like-- I will bet my bottom dollar it's gonna be one of those white background modern looking quilts again, though. Remind me to keep it simple, will you?

     I finished September's box and it is off the the longarmer-- this one is intended for a Christmas gift-- that's a good motivator. Here is me when I measured for the borders-- my focus is completely blown right now. But ya gotta laugh.


     So I did that thing you're not supposed to do which is just sew the border on and then trim it down, but at least I pinned it. It looks flat enough, and it's done.


      I finished the Tree Farm Table Runner-- look for two new Christmas sets Black Friday-- less than two weeks away, can you believe it?


     I've been working along the Summer Memories quilt-- making the larger four unit blocks now that the baskets are all done. They really look pretty and have give me a smile and occupational therapy when I needed it. Just by assembling one or two at night, look where I am!


     This is the October box-- some of you were interest to make my "Lighthearted Christmas" idea from a free Fat Quarter Shop pattern instead of the Valentine-sy heart pattern provided and it is coming along. I miscut four of the aqua sky pieces, so it's back to Fat Quarter Shop I go. (sigh) I was going to order a larger piece of Lighthearted for another border and a backing anyway. The unfinished unit size is 4.5" and I changed the layout to 10x10 if you want to copy it. I do see a few pieces I may flip around.


    So that's all I have to say about that-- I am going to collapse in bed next. I may be skipping a week of blogging here and there for the rest of the year, as I'm going to be busy with sales... until next time... hold fast and keep on sewing!

xox
Carol

4 comments:

  1. LOVE, LOVE the tree farm table runner!! And, even being sick, you're still accomplishing a LOT. Feel better soon and REST! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just like Dottie, I love the Tree Farm Table Runner and look forward to seeing more about this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me too on the Tree Farm!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I followed your lead and am making the Christmas tree. I’ve had a few dates with jack but it really coming along. I’ll raid my stash for borders. Thanks so much for the idea. Hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete