Monday, November 6, 2023

NO!-vember has arrived!

     It's apparent to me online how many people are struggling right now and I'm having some heartache myself... I have comforted myself with the idea that "at least rockets aren't coming down on our heads," but what kind of comfort is that? I make a list for myself to numbly follow each day-- it helps, but for two days I couldn't even sew. I said I was going to come up with a nickname to follow "FFOctober"-- all I can think of is "NO!vember", and I'm not too sure I can turn that into a "YES!vember" this month. 

    These pumpkins at a local grocery store did make me smile. I think #1 ate some of the gumballs required for the job. I voted for #9-- the starry night kitty. But the candy corn apple #3 was a close second. Clever.


   My finish date for "FFOctober" was on Saturday-- I even gave myself a couple extra days, but in the name of keeping it real, I just have to admit I'm a little disappointed. Here's the final results of my October list: (TIP: just skip down to the bottom if you are tired of reading about these endless, boring projects-- I did start some new things-- LOL--- thank goodness, always, for the NEW.)

1. September Sew Sampler Box-- not quite done, but it's on my list for today. I made it bigger-- although just after taking this picture, I noticed the first row on the left is on upside down. (sigh) I'll fix it, add a six inch border all around, and make the backing, hopefully today. This is a Christmas gift for a special couple my daughter and son-in-law met on the Appalachian Trail last year-- making gifts is really helping my frame of mind.


2. Neighbor #5
These could have easily been in the done column, but I made it more complicated when I realized I want a more vertical than square piece, and you, dear readers, agreed with me--TYSVM! So it's a bit on hold until I make a top row of churn dash blocks for each.


3. Resilient Quilt-- no progress. First, I needed more fabric-- then, my least favorite part of quilting, adding borders, stopped me. I pre-washed a bunch of  yards for a backing--  MISTAKE-- the huge wad of five yards has been sitting on my ironing board for the entire month of October.



4. Corn Pop Pillows--here's a win. It's been a great comfort to me to nap with my kitty on chilly afternoons. We moved all the furniture around in the living room, and we've all been enjoying it more. Do you ever rearrange stuff?


5. Pressed Flowers Block 6-- Yes, I have six done, and the pattern for #7 is here, but I still have three weeks to make it. I really love these blocks because they are very unusual-- don't tell anyone, but I might be making friends with the color pink.


6. Oval Table Runner-FAIL! I did get it cut out into the oval-- then the "thing" happened in the news last week. I can't find the fabric I bought for the binding. I really wouldn't even be using this until the spring. I made the adult decision to shelve it again-- see ya' next year! On the plus side, just looking at this photo makes me hope it's not the complete abomination I was thinking it was.


7. Mod Flower Box-- no progress. Just needs a binding. It's for me, not a gift--(or a gift for me) and I probably wouldn't be hanging it till next spring anyway. I still may finish it before the end of the year. The poor thing has been sitting on a chair in the shambles of my sewing room all of October.



8. Tree Farm Table Runner. So this is really in the win column-- it did need quite a bit more work than I thought. Just need to do a little quilting (very little, heehee) and it's ready for sale later this month. Looks busy, but it's a big piece and the little red truck border is to die for.


9. Fruit Cocktail Table Runner- no progress. Another thing I'm really not looking to use right now. I wanted to quilt it myself-- do I just send it out? On hold for now. There it is next to my Thimbleberries Christmas one I modelled it after-- time to get that one back out already, can you believe it!



10. Spooky Box. A nice surprise--- I did actually finish this (flimsy finish), it's super cute, and it also fits my coffee table perfectly. I still want to make the baby ghost version, but the Halloween spirit never "materialized" this year. There's always next year and I now have plenty of time for that. Thank goodness I do not have to piece a backing, so I may just send it our for quilting.


     Summer memories was asterisked as #11-- I did get significant progress-- This is getting to be a long post, so I'll update you next week.

    So that's it! The final tally is 4 FFOs, 4 significant progress, 3 not touched. That's a very "C" report card for me. I'm thinking of personal takeaways for why it is so hard for me to drag stuff across the line.  (TIP: If you learn something from your failures, that makes it a success!! ha)

1. Things always seem to take longer than I think they will. 

2. My fatal flaw-- complicating things-- adding extra steps.

3. Borders, binding, and backings are three B's that I really don't enjoy.

4. The thrill of the new-- enough said.

    Can I change any of these characteristics? Probably not.

   So, speaking of the NEW,  here's some new things I pecked at this week. (Speaking of pecking-- I slammed myself with rake handle to the head in classic Three Stooges fashion while chasing one of those little chicken buggers last week. I guess I should be glad I'm alive... a video of the accident would have won $10,000 on Americas Funnies Videos if one existed)

   I though a bit of cross stitch in the evening would soothe my soul-- it did. I started the Lori Holt stitch cards set P-- they are sewing themed. These go together fast. Two of the colors look too blandish to me, in the name of complicating things and adding extra steps to find new colors.


     This one I purchased for myself last year during the "move." I was feeling sorry for myself! It is a beauty, but one I think will take the course of years. The colors are presorted-- just look at them all! So I have my choice of easy or hard cross stitch at night. Which one do you think I usually choose?


     Last, I did start the October Sew Sampler box with my alternate Christmas tree plan I showed you. So far, I have 18 pinwheels for the border-- I though they looked like starlight mints. This is probably the thing I am most enjoying right now.


   I made Thanksgiving Bowl Fillers-- super cute and next on my list to stuff today-- look for them on the website tomorrow. Special thanks for the inspo to my friend Sara whose daughter owns that real barn in the heartland. <3


     So that's the state of affairs! Hope I distracted you for a moment and that the misery of unfinished projects kept you company. Let's join hands and go forward-- we can't go back.

xox
Carol


5 comments:

  1. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your living room set-up. It's "sew" cozy and inviting. I "tried" to see the upside down (first row) row, but I can't see it. Your borders will change the project and the eyes will see something totally different, I think. The tree farm table runner is AWESOME - so cheerful. And, I'm guessing you would choose the hard cross stitch. The Thanksgiving bowl fillers look FANTASTIC!! XOXO Dottie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your 'C' month outstrips my 'F----' months, sigh. I have been struggling mightily to find the joy in my sewing room - I do a little bit here and there, but it's been a long time since I've spent hours working on any projects (thank you for the bowl fillers - I have at least made a few of those!). My life is blessed beyond what I deserve, so I haven't figured out what my problem is. I did take time today to clean up my sewing room somewhat, so it is more inviting. I did make it to the Houston quilt show last Friday, and in my usual fashion I only spent a few minutes looking at the quilts on display and most of my time shopping. I am in awe of the talent on display, but it utterly intimidates and overwhelms me! The world is a harsh place, and I'm glad to find happiness in *reading* about sewing/embroidery (and buying, lol) if not actually accomplishing any! I LOVE the Thanksgiving bowl fillers!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. At least you have been able to acomplish something . I fell June 26 and fractured my left kneecap and my right shoulder. My knee is doing much better. Just doesn’t like the cold and is getting very stiff. I had to have a total shoulder replacement and it is very slow responding to P T I am so disheartened because all I want to do is sew. That is not happening. I make quilts for people undergoing chemo and that is not happening. I have been buying all your cross stitch embroideries and am looking forward to be able to cross stitch by machine with magnetic hoops. Wish me luck. Please design more. I’d love to be able to do lots of little bowlies
    Thank you for all your beautiful designs they have kept me happy browsing for the last four months. Would Love to see lots of small Christmas designs..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to see your tree quilt using the sew sampler charm packs. I love the fabric but wasn't thrilled with the pattern. The tree table runner is adorable! I love the barn bowl filler! I have been working on a couple of BOMs and pulling older projects that need to be finished.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read this newsletter thinking, "yep, that's me" on each paragraph. Easily distracted by something new, complicating the simple, hate borders, binding and backing, etc. Thanks for your thoughts and musings and be sure that you're not alone in your feelings. Looking forward to the Nov Sew Sampler box, looks like it will be pet themed.

    ReplyDelete