Thursday, November 30, 2023

For the die hard fans and friends!

      I just wanted to get FOUR posts done in November... precious little sewing has been going on, so I will really have to dig for material. We'll just say this post is only for the most diehard SFO fans out there!

     Last I left you, I was sick as a dog... this bug really knocked me out for the entire month. I did finally go to the doctor at the urging of some of you-- it was a total waste of time. No, I am not going into bronchitis. Just over the counter stuff was suggested. Should've saved my $30 copay for fabric!

    The Sew Sampler Challenge is about to die--- While I am almost finished with the October Box, November and the Jolly box have piled right on in. Both have sets of nine fat quarters, and neither of them seem to suggest any "easy" project options.


     November features Tula Pink's new "Besties" fabric-- I'm not a huge fan, but I do appreciate it. I had thought of just sewing them all together whole, getting it quilted and donating it-- CHECK it off the list! The fabrics are all large scale-- maybe a good compromise is to cut 8" squares? Another good compromise would be-- JUST GIVE UP ON THE CHALLENGE-- heehee. I think I'm already a winner with all that I did do!


    And here's the Jolly box-- the overwhelming opinion of this box has been decidedly underwhelming-- I love it though! I think it's a good value-- I love the little candy cane charm and unlike most sewists, I can always use fresh pins and needles. 


    I also like the pattern and the fabric-- unfortunately, not that pattern with that fabric-- it's again large scale prints, which I don't think make particularly good candy canes. I see them as more of a "wrapping paper" idea with "present and bow" quilt blocks. And that is not going to happen before Christmas, or even the end of the year.


     The point of the Sew Sampler Challenge was to have nice Christmas gifts this year-- I do have a ton of possibilities, unlike last year when I had NOTHING. Since tomorrow is December 1st, I really need to sit down and figure out who is getting what-- then tie up some loose ends, mostly binding.

     I also want to make some of these cute folded fabric stars this year-- have you seen them? Click the link below to be taken to a video on it by Erica Arndt-- I swiped the photo from her. 


Folder Star Ornament Video

     And I never got back to my Shabby fabrics star pot holders-- I gave away this Autumn one--lol. I have tons of Christmas fabric that could be used-- nice gift!


     Good news is, Mr. SFO is traveling for the next two weeks-- don't get me wrong, I do feel sorry for him and will miss him, but it's going to enable some LONG sewing days to help me make up for November. Honestly, I could hit it out of the park with a two or three days effort.

     In other news, I had to have a couple of little biopsies of a patch on my neck this past month-- it was extremely stressful as we all have experienced. The idea that you are full of cancer is never good news for anyone, but for us quilters with the closets full of UFOs, it is particularly frightening. The first was was inconclusive, the second one proved it was pre-cancerous, but then I had to get it removed anyway. I'm super grateful to be able to put that behind me-- that was part of why I was down in spirits all month. 


     I had to drive back to civilization to have all these medical things done-- and more good news, I got most of my Christmas shopping done... just a few little things this year. I did finally succumb to the gingerbread giant sign pictured above, from Michaels, that was 50% off. Mr. SFO is an architect and will not be impressed-- he likes his house super spartan. After he saw me struggle all month, I think he'll give in.

        Some of you are looking for a free Christmas stitch-a-long, and heaven knows we need it this year. So I am trying to get something together last minute-- maybe some cute ornaments or something. I found out a sobering statistic this year-- 60% of my customer base has only ever "bought" free things. So are you on the naughty or nice list? I am actively working to only have access to my free stitch-a-long to paying customers-- I think that is fair.

    Thank you for reading my blog, now let's sit down and make our Santa lists and SEW!

xox
Carol



6 comments:

  1. Carol, glad to hear you are feeling a bit better, but sad to hear you are overwhelmed with what you didn’t accomplish while you were ill. Don’t worry about it! Be thankful you feel better, seem to be on the mend, and yes you paid $$ to find out OTC was good medicine for you. Be thankful it was more serious, that $$ was worth the piece of mind. If you don’t get things done for Christmas make them New Year’s gifts.
    Carole in SC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops, I forgot to tell you I’m up to my arm pits working on ‘Faith, Hope, and Love’ for a I hope to be finished in time for Christmas gift X’s 3! Yikes, I need to get to work. I’ll send you a photo when I finish. I just love that pattern set.
    Carole in SC

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your chickens need some of those folded fabric stars hanging from their coop...<3

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Sew" glad you're feeling better.

    This time of year it seems like things amplify (illnesses, losses, unfinished projects, etc.) - I suppose because it is the "end" of the calendar year and whether we like it or not, new beginnings are just around the corner but we don't want loose ends following us into the new year.

    Hoping I get a LOT accomplished in the next couple of weeks and wishing you the same. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good news re feeling better. I wholeheartedly support your decision regarding the sew-alongs. The selfishness and greed of some people never ceases to amaze me. But might I make a suggestion - postpone the sew-along until the new year. Don't put any more pressure on yourself than you already have. Your die-hard fans won't be at all put out and in fact might even be secretly happy - less stress on them at a busy time of year. Just a thought.

    I am in exactly the same place as you regarding skin cancer tests - first inconclusive, have to report for a second sample taking on Monday. Couple that with a fall from a ladder and a bandaged arm (nothing broken - only my self-esteem) and a few other unplanned for occurrences, I'm not feeling the "joy of growing older" right now. But my sewing machine does give me joy. Beautiful embroideries give me joy. Wishing you joy for December and the new year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looking forward to this years stitch-along! I’ve participated since the beginning.

    ReplyDelete